El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea what the vertical slots next to the turn signal lights are on the '77 front bumper??

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Bumper jack slots,, look at the factory bumper jack and it should have a "hook" on the end to fit in it the bumper,,, thats how we jacked the cars back in my day,, man I`m old,,,,, Matty man

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that you mention it, I remember those times, I had one car that had slots in the frame rail. Thanks for your replys. I don't have a jack or diagram back there, just an empty space. Not interested in necessarily restoring to factory stuff so I'm putting a small 2 ton floor jack in the smugglers box.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Harbor Freight (and others I'm sure) carry a small 2 ton floor jack in a PVC plastic case. Case is about 20" X 10" X 5". They aren't real expensive, and definately not for industrial use. Being in that case, they don't rattle around.

I picked mine up at a yard sale for $8. It's the only jack I've used for 4 yrs now, and still going strong. I've used it to jack up the elkie and put the jack stands under it many, many, many times.

I keep a pair of mechanics gloves inside the case with mine. I also keep a lid off of one of those PVC storage bins (my lid is like 22" X 36") under the spare tire, because you absolutely know that if you ever have a flat, it'll be raining and you'll have good clothes on (not your car-workin-on clothes). Wear the gloves to keep your hands clean, kneel on the lid to keep your pants clean.

Ya gotta have smart brains man!

:poke:

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I finally knew the answer to a question asked here. My po thought that music was more important than a spare and a jack. Theres not even room for a bottle jack under the speaker box. It sure sounds good though.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Those lids have a lip around them that is 1/2"-1" tall. I keep one in the trunk of my Maxima too. Can set dirty parts (even a 200-4R trans!) on that lid, and it doesn't get the carpet in the trunk dirty. The lip will also contain minor dribbles/spills of fluids, so it doesn't stain the carpet either.

I found my lid in someones trash out on the curb one morning (you can also find them along the side of the road, where they blew off), so it was FREE too! My favorite price!

:nanawrench:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts