El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove the El Camino in to work today and about half way here, while in stop and go traffic, I went to move up some and the accelerator just floored with no force at all. The truck lunged forward, jumped would be a better word for it, man I almost hit the guy/girl/person in front of me! :shocked: ! Talk about being freaked out completely! WOW! :shocked: :shocked: It turns out that the throttle return spring came off. Didn't brake or wasn't distorted.

I am really glad that I was driving it and not my wife. I'd probably be looking for a new front end if she had been.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
ElkyPete said:
Talk about being freaked out completely! WOW! :shocked: :shocked: It turns out that the throttle return spring came off. Didn't brake or wasn't distorted.
Maybe your Elkie thought that upcomming traffic light was a light tree and was ready to turn a quick 1/4 mile? 8O Good reaction on the brake though! Bet there was a big sigh of relief after that little experience!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was in Freeway Stop and go traffic. "Bumper to Bumper" sort of deal. I operated the pedal with both feet until I could got off I really needed about three feet and some hands too!

Oh well. The good part is nobody/nothing was hurt by it. It was just freeky.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
My cousin had an '83 Trans Am a few years back that would floor itself 8O There was somthing wrong with the cruise control, it would floor itself from time to time when your foot was lifted off the brake. I borrowed it once and damn near ran into another car! I understand how you must have felt 8O :D

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I had a "65 Mustang that broke the motor mount on the drivers side. Stepped on the gas and the torque lifted the motor which pulled against the throttle linkage causing it to go faster. Fortunately I had no one in front of me and was able to turn off the key and hit the brakes before any damage. Un-nerving however.

Dan

·
Registered
40 Posts
83Elky said:
I had a "65 Mustang that broke the motor mount on the drivers side. Stepped on the gas and the torque lifted the motor which pulled against the throttle linkage causing it to go faster. Fortunately I had no one in front of me and was able to turn off the key and hit the brakes before any damage. Un-nerving however.

Dan
beat me to it durn you... cept i was doing a left hand turn, spun around a couple o times, fun stuff
after i fixed the mount i figured i was ok, nope, the spring had been weakened by it and broke 'bout a week later, luckily i wasn't near any traffic, i killed the fire and put it in neutral, coasted over to the side of the road, didn't have a spring and was about an hour from my house, used some old speaker wire so i could pull the pedal up by hand (automatic, didn't need to worry 'bout shifting) drove for about half a week like that
fun stuff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts