El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone guide me or help me with the problem I ran into with the vin and year of car? So basicaly i bought this el camino from this guy on Craigslist and said it has a 69 front clip with a 71 salvaged title and after getting it transferred in my name with the 71 title (like an idiot I didn't do it before) I did a vin check from the vin on the dash and came out as a 69 so the title has a 71 title with a 69 vin on the pink. everything is a 69 from the front to the dash and panels so how and why can the title be like that,how would I figure out if it is a real 69 and what can I do to have it as a 69 on the pink I understand the numbers are out of wack lol can someone please help me with this confusion I would greatly appreciate It thanks.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Somethings not quite right.

I think I would go pay the guy a visit if the title doesnt match the car VIN.

Cops, lawyers, shotgun, something.:let_it_all_out:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
:secret:save your self trouble, and go to the dmv in your state,here in Texas,they have a office you can take it to and they find the vin on the frame, they check all the numbers to make sure its not been stolen,and will reissue you a new title with the correct numbers. good luck !! :texas:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
And I just noticed this is your first post so WELCOME to a great site. Hope you enjoy the site and when you get it all straight, show us some pictures of your car AGAIN WELCOME...... Michael in Virginia:Welcome!::Welcome!:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if the vin matches the title just the year is wrong you can go to the motor veh dept in your state and tell them they will correct it and issue the correct title.all states have a vin verifieing officer just for these issues..if the vin matches the title it isnt a problem as long as there has been nothing crooked done to it. get it squared away before you do anything else to it just in case of the worse

·
Registered
439 Posts
6th digit in VIN is the model year. If those don't match IN THE VIN the seller is screwing you IMO. Paperwork errors not withstanding.

'69 = 13-character VIN is only going to tell you ~
1 :: Chevy
36 :: Chevlle, El Camino V8
80 :: 2-DR Pickup Delivery
9 :: 1969
? :: 7th character is assembly plant
last 6 characters (numbers) are the sequential serial number out of that plant.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
As stated above, just take the title to the DMV and have the fix the year on the title. It is no big thing in California to get it done. I own a Camino with an earlier engine swap and I had them change the title year to match the engine year for smog purposes. The VIN is for a 1980, but the model year on the pink and reg is 1970.

·
Registered
135 Posts
title

It happens quite often. Before computers the numbers were typed in and often misread. Lots of strange typos. Take it to the DVM. They will tell you how to fix it. But do it ASAP so you will not have problems when you go to sell the vehicle. Also now you can still find the seller if you have to get him to sign a form.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts