El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone could help me. I bought an el camino royal knight and it only has 13 characters in it and I thought they were to have 17. It is a 79 model. I'm an Australian guy moved over so I really don't know your cars. I had the Australian version of the el camino so I figured I'd have ago at one. Also this royal night package is it true they only put that on the ss.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
@Jacksute
G'day Mate.
The 1979 El Camino had 13 character VIN.
The 1981 El Camino had 17 character VIN

This link may help decode the VINs.

One of the online sites with a "butt puppet" fox mascot might require 17 digits, since their records don't go back far enough.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
@Jacksute
Here are a couple of Royal Knight threads.
Also, under the top banner image, there is a site search capability.
Try it and search for "Royal Knight".

@RK-Carsen With the new 2020 version of ElCaminoCentral, you might be able to edit this thread to put your images back on.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,804 Posts
Yes the Royal Knight is a Super Sport First (RPO code Z15) then GM added the $68 decals to make it a Royal Knight (RPO code Z16) Decals is the only parts to make it an Royal Knight

·
Registered
479 Posts
US VINs became a standard 17 characters in 1981. A lot of GM cars stopped having vehicle options linked to their VIN a while before that, so the only real way to know for sure what you have is to get a hold of your build sheet. Here's mine:

@Old Bear -I'm still getting used to the new format. Have a lot of pictures that disappeared when the site changed that I'm trying to get back into their threads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts