El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was removing my dash to paint the interior and decided to remove the tag, paint it and put it all together. To my surprise it just about fell apart in my hands. Where do I get one? Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Haha good luck with that. Not that I condone in any way tampering with the vin tag but one might be best to just ignore that and pretend it never fell off. The stateys really don't like it when that tag is missing and I doubt they'll be keen on giving you a new one. You could ask though at the dmv. They might potentially know.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If the two rivits are still attached to the bracket on the body you can contact your DMV to get a replacement sticker. If you drilled out the rivits you are likely SOL since removing the VIN plate is a federal offence. If you did that I would do as ozzman posted and act like it didn't happen, get a couple of replacement rivits, not the hardware store style and rivit it back in place.

·
Registered
532 Posts
not condoning messing around with the vin plate, but sometimes there are situations where you have to,
If you are pretty good with a stamp set you could make your own, but it's hard to make them look original, then the rivits used at the factory are not the same as the ones you buy at the hardware store,(if you grind them off on the backside, they can be reused to look right, a well placed dab of epoxy to hold everything in place) you need the right type of tin and a reversed stamp set, numbers are stamped from the bottom (raised on top)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the rivets still in the dash, I was close to removing it then saw that the tag was falling apart, I will just leave it as is then...still partially there just rusty and not very legible now..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts