El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a vinyl tip on my 72, and I can see there are some rust bubbles under it. I have a waterproof car cover over the car cause its in the parking lot of my apartment complex were I can't work on her :( Should I leave the Vinyl on until I can get her into a place where I can work on her or take it off incase its holding water?

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
If its got bubbles, it probably already has holes. Problem is when vinyl tops age or have been scrubbed too much in cleaning attempts the waterproofing wears off and they become porous. Also they tend to lift under any moldings as they shrink and the adhesive gives out. From there water works its way under and gets trapped.
Even just the daytime to nightime change in temperature can be enough to cause condensation and contribute to the rust problem. Waterproof car covers will do the same. They trap condensation under the cover and the car stays wet until the cover is removed.
So what's the answer? Repair it. The sooner the better. Even if you can't do it right. Do something to stop the rust for now. Take off the top and moldings. Clean up the metal and brush some POR15 over the spots. That will stop the rust for now. Otherwise clean it up, sandblast the rust, weld in patches if necessary and use epoxy primer. Then continue with any body work, high build 2K primer, sealer, base coat and clear.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If its got bubbles, it probably already has holes. Problem is when vinyl tops age or have been scrubbed too much in cleaning attempts the waterproofing wears off and they become porous. Also they tend to lift under any moldings as they shrink and the adhesive gives out. From there water works its way under and gets trapped.
Even just the daytime to nightime change in temperature can be enough to cause condensation and contribute to the rust problem. Waterproof car covers will do the same. They trap condensation under the cover and the car stays wet until the cover is removed.
So what's the answer? Repair it. The sooner the better. Even if you can't do it right. Do something to stop the rust for now. Take off the top and moldings. Clean up the metal and brush some POR15 over the spots. That will stop the rust for now. Otherwise clean it up, sandblast the rust, weld in patches if necessary and use epoxy primer. Then continue with any body work, high build 2K primer, sealer, base coat and clear.
POR15? cool - just saw that the other day ... thought it had potential!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
POR15? cool - just saw that the other day ... thought it had potential!
Great stuff, and it's best to wear gloves, anyway believe someone already said that, meet Greg that's in your area, he has a 85El Camino, I'm going to try and make the Capital City Cruisers Car/Truck show on Aug. 11, 2012 3919 New Bern Ave. Raleigh, I also have a 80 Caballero. Michael in South Boston, Virginia

·
Registered
298 Posts
Great stuff, and it's best to wear gloves, anyway believe someone already said that, meet Greg that's in your area, he has a 85El Camino, I'm going to try and make the Capital City Cruisers Car/Truck show on Aug. 11, 2012 3919 New Bern Ave. Raleigh, I also have a 80 Caballero. Michael in South Boston, Virginia
Excellent! ... looking forward to running my ol' jalopy to that. :beer:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would have probably been sick if I had to face that job - ya done good! Very nice job!

Makes me much happier with mine. Of course; mines not as old :dontknow:

Sorry WarbirdPrincess for hijacking the topic ...

if all goes well mine will be out of the shop tomorrow with rebuilt transmission and new windshield wiper assembly and hopefully side mirrors ...
THEN :twisted: lots of pictures :beer:

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Por 15

If you have never used POR 15 paint, read & follow directions on can!! Dont get paint in lip of can & close it !! Makes it almost impossible to reopen can !! Ask me how I know. This is a great product,just read the directions. ( I know real men don`t need directions)
Dave B.:beer:

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you have never used POR 15 paint, read & follow directions on can!! Dont get paint in lip of can & close it !! Makes it almost impossible to reopen can !! Ask me how I know. This is a great product,just read the directions. ( I know real men don`t need directions)
Dave B.:beer:
oh ... it's considered a paint?

Can a filler primer still be applied over it?

Is this something that would be strong smelling?
My HOA is a massive pain in the south end when it comes to the extent of working on an auto.

My thinking was to do small sections at a time with a top load gravity feed sprayer - sand a little down to metal and shot it - next time repeat ... until whole car is finished. Figure it would protect the entire car that way - no?

... real men push the limits if their middle name is "TROUBLE" :shocked2:

·
2,566 Posts
You realy don't want to shoot the entire car in POR 15. It's good for back sides of panels, floors, fender wells, etc. If it's exposed to the sun it needs to be topcoated. Use their top coats.Don't paint over any nuts, bolts or other fastensers or bushings.
If you're going to strip your car, do one panel at a time and spray one to two medium wet coats of epoxy. Let that dry good. Overnight is better. Then do any body work right over the epoxy.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You realy don't want to shoot the entire car in POR 15. It's good for back sides of panels, floors, fender wells, etc. If it's exposed to the sun it needs to be topcoated. Use their top coats.Don't paint over any nuts, bolts or other fastensers or bushings.
If you're going to strip your car, do one panel at a time and spray one to two medium wet coats of epoxy. Let that dry good. Overnight is better. Then do any body work right over the epoxy.
one situation is particular is the back upper left corner near tailgate at edge where corner chrome is has heavy rust pits which someone shot with grey primer. Not sure yet as to what is under it.

Thought it would be stopped in its tracks with the POR15.

Most of this car is mild surface rust from what I can tell. The original bed panels aren't even pitted.

Last time I did painting was in late 80's on street sweepers and water truck - shot it with industrial enamel :???:

So I forgot more than I remember :dontknow: I think ...

If I understand this correctly - POR15 would be optimal in extreme conditions like the frame and underside instead of a rubberized coating? or is it more of a pre-coating?

·
2,566 Posts
If I understand this correctly - POR15 would be optimal in extreme conditions like the frame and underside instead of a rubberized coating? or is it more of a pre-coating?

Yeah just don't get it on anything that may ever need to be removed. Don't paint nuts/bolts/bushings,etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats fine. Well I know a lot about POR15 now... lol :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts