El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Should I test it, to see how much voltage it's putting out?

·
Registered
485 Posts
My trickle charger is a battery tender, will that over charge the battery?
My trickle charger is a battery tender, will that over charge the battery?
Maybe it will. Does it shut off when the battery is fully charged? A battery minder will and it will also desulfanate your battery plates. A battery minder isn't used for charging, mine only charges 1 amp when it is charging. It just maintains a fully charged battery.

·
Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Mine is called a Battery Tender that does the same as yours. The statement about it over charging is an error, it doesn't do that.

·
Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I bought a new alternator from the people that I work for that owns a NAPA store. I bought it yesterday. I had a little problem putting it on. I took it back this morning and they're clocked it for me. I brought it back and installed it. I started the Elk up and the volt meter went over 13 volts. It didn't drop the whole time I ran it. The cost was less than $60.00. They discussed the amps I needed, this one is over 60 amp out put.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started up the 78 Elk again today. The volt meter went to +13 volts, then dropped to the orange line. Is there a part I need to change in the alternator or do I need to change the alternator?
Id start with using a meter to check the battery with it running and without to make sure it is the actual alternator !

·
Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
With the new alternator, it's staying above 13 volts on the volt meter. I'll try checking the battery when it's running.

·
Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The volt meter it dropped again today with the new alternator. I called my friends st the NAPA Store. He told me to bring it back and they would test this alternator and my old one for problems. He also told me to check the exciter wires that connects to the alternator.

·
Registered
293 Posts
While they are checking your alternator take the battery also and let them check it.
Statr with known good parts. Maybe the battery is having issues holding a charge.

·
Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
While they are checking your alternator take the battery also and let them check it.
Statr with known good parts. Maybe the battery is having issues holding a charge.
I have been checking the battery and it's holding power real well. The only reason I charge the battery is the clock in the Elk is running all the time. That can lower the battery in 4 or 5 days, even then it's not dead.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well I have a clock in mine and I never leave a battery tender/trickle charger or whatever on it. I go a week or two without starting the car at times. No problem.
So unless you are talking about extended periods of time I would not concern yourself about it
I still would let them check the battery. Most auto stores have the ability to be able to check a battery, not just a voltage check.
Now I assume your car was working just fine for quite awhile until this happened. So something went bad. Obvious causes would be alternator, battery , maybe gauge itself.
Has anything else been done to the car around the time this problem started?

·
Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well I have a clock in mine and I never leave a battery tender/trickle charger or whatever on it. I go a week or two without starting the car at times. No problem.
So unless you are talking about extended periods of time I would not concern yourself about it
I still would let them check the battery. Most auto stores have the ability to be able to check a battery, not just a voltage check.
Now I assume your car was working just fine for quite awhile until this happened. So something went bad. Obvious causes would be alternator, battery , maybe gauge itself.
Has anything else been done to the car around the time this problem started?
The battery went dead once, when the torque converter switch was left on. The volt meter activity started 3 weeks later. That's the only thing going on. I can go up to 2 weeks also. I was being conservative with my answer. The battery is less than a year old.

·
Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I checked the battery this morning, without the trickle charger and not running it, my voltage meter read 12.45 volts. I started it up and my hand held meter read 14.5 volts with it running and the Elks voltage meter read 13 volts and stayed there. With it still running I played with the activity wires. When I pushed down the wire on the passenger side the volt meter stayed up at 13 volts. When I pushed down the driver's side it dropped down just short of the orange line on the low side. To me, it looks like the problem is the activity wires connection.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Might try cleaning your wires contacts with a nail file or emery board. Anything to scuff it up. One of those wires sends a signal it’s charging and the other tells it to charge.
Tom

·
Registered
848 Posts
Looks like brown goes to the charging, not charging light. Brown and white to the ignition switch.
Tom
Rectangle Font Schematic Line Slope

·
Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thank you, I'm going to be trying to clean the tips of those tips, the next couple days.

·
Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I used an emery file and sanded the wire end connectors. I started it up again and the needle dropped clear to 8 volts. The battery test showed it running 14.5 volts. I heard a rattling sound, I think from the alternator. It did get close to 13 volts, when I pulled the wire end towards the passenger side. The colors of the wires in the connectors are red and black.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts