El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 78 and the volt meter always reads about 8 to 10 volts. If I put on a meter on the battery it shows 13+ volts, so I know that the alt is working. A while back I had the gauge checked and it was OK. I am thinking that the circuits(strip)that feeds the gauges are the problem. The other gauges work. Has anyone run into this or have any suggestions? The way the gauge reads, I always wonder if the alt is working or if my battery is going down.
Any comments greatly appreciated.
elamott

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Check for bad grounds on your dash cluster, under the dash to the left side near the fuses, on the left rear of the engine (cable from the firewall), or the ground connection from the battery to the engine (probably on the alternator bracket).

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery to the engine is OK and the ground to the firewall is there. I am not sure about the one under the dash, where does it connect to?
Thanks
elamott

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The one under the dash, to the left, just below the emergency brake, the the master ground for the gauges, controls, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Well, since it's 34-years old (hmmm, that's younger than me :smileyb:) you Might want to check the gauge where it fits into the strip. Go to Radio Shack and buy some contact cleaner and spray around the gauge while wriggling it as best you can. Make sure the cleaner has thoroughly evaporated before checking it out. It kinda sounds like the gnd post isn't making good contact on the meter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts