El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been having some electrical problems with my 1971 El Camino SS. It's a 73, 454. Just installed a complete MSD ignition system and coil. It's reading 12.7 volts at the battery when running and 12 volts turned off. Shouldn't it be higher than 12.7 volts when running? The alternator is brand new too. Any suggestions on getting the voltage up? The voltage regulator is the original. thank you!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You can swap in a Wells Electronic Voltage regulator I think it'd the 715 it's a direct swap. Everything is same except the plastic top is shorter. If you need original look I hear you may be able to swap the tops. I didn't. I have all original harness , new battery, 61 amp a/c alternator, and the wells 715 3 seasons. 14 at the battery when running

·
Registered
342 Posts
"It's reading 12.7 volts at the battery when running and 12 volts turned off." \

A fully charged lead acid battery with no load on it should read near 13 volts (2.17 volts per cell) and over 14 volts with the engine running. If your only getting 12 volts there may be a load on your battery when the ignition key is turned off. It's easy to check by disconnecting the positive cable and checking for resistance between the positive cable and ground. I'm glad you asked this question because it reminded me to check my deer lease truck and the battery only read 10 volts (dead cell). I checked and there's no load on the battery with the cables disconnected. Time for a new battery. I bought this INTERSTATE battery in August 2010 so I got 8 years out of it, not bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts