El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 1980 Chevy El Camino Conquista. I was driving down the road and blew out my headlights at the same time (both my high and low.) I had my altornator tested and it was putting out 18 volts. Now my question is: is there a voltage regulator i need to place, or do i need to replace the whole altornator?

Ive been told both, however no one can see a voltage regulator in my car, and when i origionally got the car (about 6 months ago) I tested it myself, and it was putting out about 14.5 volts in my memory is correct, so it was at one point working fine.

Please let me know soon, i have been trying to figure it out and i am giong to buy a altornator today.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The regulator went full field,, the regulator is in the alternator,, get a new alternator if you can,, easy to swap out,, Matty man
DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE YOU DO IT!! Or you can test the 2 fuseable links from the starter,, yes I did it,, oooppppssss,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I was talking to a few people and they said it was external, and the same number of people said that it was internal. I myself couldnt see it anywhere so I agree with internal, thank you

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
...it's internal...:beer:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Most of the older GM alternators were rebuildable, replacing the internal regulator and brushes is extremley easy if you have the right tools, I would compare prices, rebuilt or new alternator verus installing the parts in the one you have. Warrenty verus no warrenty, time ,tools ,etc.. all count for something.

When the rectifier and diodes go south costs go up quick.

The Chevrolet service manuals from the late 70's early 80's mention that if one headlamp is blowing out to replace the internal voltage regulator.

14.5 volts is right where it should be putting out, around 13 volts with the lights on.
If I was doing it I would probably get a new or rebuilt one and not have to fool with it.

Just my thoughts.
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts