El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing an aftermarket voltmeter gauge and was wondering if I dont have any tabs on the fuse box to use, can I splice into the power wire on the radio and then ground it. The only tab I have left is the battery tab that has power to it all the time and not sure if I can hook it there. I know you are to hook it up to a keyed 12v power source and that's why I wondered if I can splice into the radio power wire

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
It will work fine connected to the ign power for the radio.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next question, do I need to use the same size wire when splicing or can I use 12 ga going into the radio harness

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Your new voltmeter won't consume more than a tiny fraction of an amp - very low amount of current draw. That 12 gauge will be fine but probably is overkill and could be much thinner.

Also, don't be surprised if your new gauge indicates perhaps .8 volts or so lower than if you used a multimeter and measured for DC volts at the battery. At least this is the situation for me and is due to voltage drops in the wire.

Rick

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Larger size wire will make no difference to function. Same size would also be fine in the arms length(?) or less involved with the connection. Voltage drop due to 'line loss' increases with the length between connections with DC current, and can be reduced with increased wire size moving further from the DC power source. Not a factor between fuse box and instrument panel for sure. Sorry some of this observation is sort of engineering lingo from former times reviewing fire alarm system plans for condos or other large buildings.

In simpler terms...If Neil (464elky) says it will work. It will work!
:beer:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I wasnt too sure since electrical is not my strong suit. Only other thing I could of done was splice in to the wire already hooked into the ignition tab on the fuse box

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
To feed a voltmeter you could use 22 ga. It draws very little amperage as Randy said. 12 ga would be overkill FOR A VOLTMETER.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Voltage is pressure, Amperage is the amount of electricity flowing.. Electricity much like water. Voltage is water pressure and current/amperage is gallons used...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts