El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2002 5.7 motor and 4l80e transmission available.
I'm thinking of transplanting this into a 74 Elky.
Need some help planning the swap.
What do I use to reprogram the computer?
I have the complete harness,but comes from a 2002 commercial truck...I'm guessing it is standard GM...but not sure if commercial vehicles have cats?
Does it matter?
The Elky runs on the longer 118 wheelbase...so a 112 wheelbase drive shaft would work?
4l80E uses it's own yoke?
What type of oxygen sensor do I choose?
What type of oil cooler setup will keep the trans healthy?
I've never played with the new technology of today's motors and electronics.
Any books that would help me out?
Thanks,guys.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
waitformeperformance.com can reprogram your pcm give them a email and tell them what you have and what you want to do. i have talked to them about tweeking my lt1 pcm was less than 100$

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the 4l80 uses the same yoke as a 400.use the factory heated o2 sensors.get the biggest cooler you can fit into your car. if it had 4 o2 s you will need to run the cats to keep it happy. the engine will have a torque cam in it but they can reprogram it to scream. iether order the factory wireing diagram or buy an aftermarket harness . waitformeperformance can modify your harness to run only what you need. the newer harness have everything in the engine harness,abs,wipers,ac and whatever else was on the donor truck

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I notice at the local drag strip that lot's of guys run a laptop in their car and can monitor whats going on and change the shift points etc to match the HP and torque curve of the engine.
I was hoping I might be able to tinker with something like that.
Is it possible with a 2002 computer prom?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
yes the obd2 started in some models as early as 94 but all were by 96.any obd2 can be interfaced with a laptop and programming software,there are several co. that offer the software

·
Registered
641 Posts
if it had 4 o2 s you will need to run the cats to keep it happy.
IIRC, 2 of the sensors are pre-cat and are used for fuel metering. The other 2 are post-cat and just emissions. If they don't vary enough from the first 2 it will throw a CEL to let you know you need new cats. If it's getting reprogrammed, maybe it's possible to program it to use only 2 O2 sensors? I'm not sure if the mentioned service only has the ROMs or they have lower level source-code access.

If you need to pass emissions then none of what I just typed is applicable.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have had good sucess useing mail order programers.usually fast turn around and good results. the more acurate and complete the info you supply them along with realistic expectations will make a big differance in the outcome

·
Registered
174 Posts
Buddy of mine who I helped build his car found out first hand the uselessness of a mail order.

He has a rowdy lil 347 mustang. Mail order tune to break it in and figured it was fine. Took it to a tuner in San Antonio before hitting the track. had gaps and spaces everywhere because the tune was just not there.

Tuned it on the dyno and unlocked 40rwhp and 25rwtq.

While you can do the mail order route it will in fact take longer and more money in the long run to get the same accuracy as a single dyno tune.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
yes the obd2 started in some models as early as 94 but all were by 96.any obd2 can be interfaced with a laptop and programming software,there are several co. that offer the software
Please list some of the companies who offer the software.

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
132 Posts
I currently have a 2002 5.7 motor and 4l80e transmission available.
I'm thinking of transplanting this into a 74 Elky.
Need some help planning the swap.
What do I use to reprogram the computer?
I have the complete harness,but comes from a 2002 commercial truck...I'm guessing it is standard GM...but not sure if commercial vehicles have cats?
Does it matter?
The Elky runs on the longer 118 wheelbase...so a 112 wheelbase drive shaft would work?
4l80E uses it's own yoke?
What type of oxygen sensor do I choose?
What type of oil cooler setup will keep the trans healthy?
I've never played with the new technology of today's motors and electronics.
Any books that would help me out?
Thanks,guys.
If it is from a light truck, it is NOT a 5.7. In 2002 the GM truck based "LS" engines were called "Vortec" and they came as 4.8 liters, 5.3 liters or 6.0 liters. If it is mated to a 4L80E (newer, computer version of a turbo 400) tranny, it is possible you have a 6.0.

I just finished doing a 6.0 LS truck swap into my G body - was fairly easy. It is very, very fast now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Pics of the engine.

If it is LSx based then HP tuners will be the a good choice and many use it.
If it is a gen1 vortec efilive is a good option.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but I can't find a good discussion anywhere else to get the following question answered.

How does an older GM steering column shift lever communicate with these much later all electronic shifting 4L80E shifting transmissions? There does not appear to be any mechanical linkage between the two?

Confused . . . .

Rick

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I realize this is an old thread but I can't find a good discussion anywhere else to get the following question answered.

How does an older GM steering column shift lever communicate with these much later all electronic shifting 4L80E shifting transmissions? There does not appear to be any mechanical linkage between the two?

Confused . . . .

Rick
Rick, you're confusing mechanical linkage with electrical plug-ins. the computer takes the readings from the engine harness and then sends signals to the tranny as required thru the harness, not the mechanical linkage

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Still confused here. How does the very dumb non-electronic shifter in the steering column communicate to the electronics in the engine / transmission that "Hey, let's get out of Park and get into Drive or Reverse?" I can understand how the shifting can take place once the vehicle is moving but I'm dumber than a stump on the park and reverse aspects.

It just seems to me that something in our old steering columns would need modernization to get out of park, etc. I don't see any mechanical linkage on the side of these electronic transmissions in any photographs for our old shift linkage to use. Is this linkage simply missing in the photos but there to tie into when things are completely installed?

Feeling dumb . . . .

Rick

·
Registered
130 Posts
I doubt it will without some fancy machining skills and lots of trial and error but who knows someone out there may have made a kit for it as popular as the swap is now.

I would think you would have to swap to a floor shifter

·
Supporting Member
4,475 Posts
I have a 4l60e in my SSR. It should be essentially the same as the 4l80e, since folks swap those into the SSR. It connects just like a column shifter would. The "E" part is the control of the shift points, TCC, etc, after you have selected a gear manually. Your column shifter should hook up with no issues, other than you might not be able to select 1st gear manually.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Ah. Ok. Now I understand better and will continue to search for this transmission. I had this transmission for 400 bucks and it's 73,000 ish mile engine for 600 bucks within my grasp last week but I had to go out of town. It sold yesterday before I could get to it.

But there will be others.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts