El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking most aftermarket intakes are mostly copies of factory cast iron.
Looking at probably a stock height as I'd like to keep the stock hood.
I'm leaning toward the summit branded manifold as they are finished by Weiand.
Anyone running a crosswind,hurricane,typhoon?
I see quite a few manufacturers making an air gap copy.
Any recommendations appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since you guys were so helpful...:nanawrench:
I ordered a cheap pro comp stock height satin manifold.
That should stir up the buy American crowd.:let_it_all_out:
I just cant afford an Edelbrock at the moment.
I'll have some pics in a few days...we shall see how the ports match the Felpro 1255 gaskets.

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
I bought one of those too(Pro-Comp). It was the biggest mistake I could have made. I ended up buying an Edelbrock air-gap. Right now I have both in my possession and can see a HUGE difference in quality. I'll never buy cheap crap again.

CHECK THE PORTS BEFORE YOU USE THAT THING. MINE DID NOT LINE UP WITH THE PORTS ON THE HEADS! THEY WERE ALL OFF A LITTLE BIT! :beer:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Buy American! Get first line qulity and engineering. Help rebuild our economy, not China's.

But cheap crap from asian producers and get inferior metallurgy, fit and finish. Help China build it,s war machine while our jobs evaporate.
This is a problem that can be solved if American consumers seek out domestically made products and are willing to pay a little more. Pro Comp is a line of junk. That's why it so cheap and mostly sold over the net so they guy who takes your money never has to look you in the eye. Wake up, America! !:beer:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I will not buy Edelbrock...except on the secondary market...they purposely engineer everything to thwart you from using other products on their stuff.
Their 2x4 manifolds only allow use of their carbs etc.
They put fittings purposely in the way to only clear their stuff.
Edelbrock sucks!
I have a nice dual quad manifold and have one carb choice...so it just sits on the shelf looking pretty.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
I think we all know, Summit branded products are made by someone else, in this case, Weiand. I've never heard of anyone not satisfied with a Summit branded product at all. I'll buy Summit branded all day long since it does save a few bucks and for the most part that I am aware of, is USA made quality parts. Many performance parts you get what you pay for. Sounds as if that is the case with intakes too. Headers for example. You get a $100-$150 set of headers, you get junk. You spend $300-$500 they'll usually last close to a lifetime and hold up much better, along with fitting well, performing well and even looking nice for longer. :dontknow: I'd have gone with my gut and went forthe Summit branded product before I tried Pro Crap.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to cut a few corners right now...I'm totally tapped out,and still need a set of headers.
I've cleaned out the garage, and scrapped every piece of aluminum and cast iron as possible.
Saved about $50 in tax shipping and fees.
If I have to do a little work to clean up the casting,I will.
I can always easily change out the manifold later,when my funds improve.
I've been out of work 2 moths now,and just started receiving unemployment.
I'm finally current on my home and utilities...doesn't leave much for toys.:(

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
you have to do your research with summit branded product - some of it is weiand, but a lot is procomp and chinese - chinese metal is poor quality, period.
Yikes, I was not aware the Summit brand used Pro Comp, but I do know to avoid the Pro Comp. I try to avoid all I can that is Chineese for their inferior metal quality and lack of quality control, not to mention loss of an American job.

Here is a good example though of how this economical circle will never fix itself. A man is out of work, so to get by until better days, he buys the cheaper NON American product which helps our jobless economy how??? :dontknow: I get it though. A guy does what he has to do. Not even going to get into a political discussion, but this country allows way to many imports.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i use edlbrock as my only source for aftermarket manifolds .when you order an intake order the one for the carb you want to run they have options for just about any carb.i like that old bumper sticker that read ,hungry,out of work,looseing you home try eating your import

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
I will not buy Edelbrock...except on the secondary market...they purposely engineer everything to thwart you from using other products on their stuff.
Their 2x4 manifolds only allow use of their carbs etc.
They put fittings purposely in the way to only clear their stuff.
Edelbrock sucks!
I have a nice dual quad manifold and have one carb choice...so it just sits on the shelf looking pretty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rYf5qW-zpo
Edelbrock does not suck. And you are going to find out real quick that Pro-comp is garbage. Google pro-comp manifolds and find out the easy way before putting that junk on your motor. Believe me, I had Edelbrock right next to the pro-comp and the quality is a huge difference. And you've already said that you don't like Edelbrock because it's only made to fit other Edelbrock products which is debatable. The Pro-comp is a cheap copy of the Edelbrock. Everything is in exactly the same place. So you've bought a design you already admit you don't like, but you got a cheap copy of it. :poke:

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Yikes, I was not aware the Summit brand used Pro Comp,.......
The problem is,, that is just today, tomorrow it may come from some small shop in Viet Nam, or the next batch from B.F. Egypt, or ??? Surgi is a "low bid" sort of guy when it comes to the house brand items. There has been a lot of chatter over the last few years that Wieand makes the Summit intakes. And there may have been some, but don't hold your breath to find out where it really comes from today.

Edelbrock and Holley are the industry standards everything else is measured by,, so why fight it.

No doubt Weiand is a good piece for $167,
http://www.jegs.com/i/Weiand/925/8121/10002/-1

The $187 Edelbrock
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2716/10002/-1

Unfortunately Holley only makes 2 for the Vortec heads and both are for the multiport EFI so no help there,
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-9901-107/

And of course the GMPP offerings
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12496820/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12366573/

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have a buddy that will sell you his pro comp manifold .its a great paperweight but not much use as a intake the ports are so far off they wont seal and the vender wont warrany it being a performance part. like tranny mike said use a good intake the procomp is crap

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've yet to see anyone post pics showing ports being off etc...
I've never really heard of procomp,but for $130 I'll give them a shot...it's not an internal engine part where catastrophic failure is going to ruin the engine.
We shall see how much port matching is needed.
If anyone has photos of bogus machine work,I would appreciate seeing it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Edelbrock does not suck. And you are going to find out real quick that Pro-comp is garbage. Google pro-comp manifolds and find out the easy way before putting that junk on your motor. Believe me, I had Edelbrock right next to the pro-comp and the quality is a huge difference. And you've already said that you don't like Edelbrock because it's only made to fit other Edelbrock products which is debatable. The Pro-comp is a cheap copy of the Edelbrock. Everything is in exactly the same place. So you've bought a design you already admit you don't like, but you got a cheap copy of it. :poke:
The intake manifold is nothing but a fixture holding the carb...doesn't have to be made of steel to do its job.
If I could upgrade to a normal type manifold it would be a old school Holley or Offenhauser.
I don't have many options at this point.
I buy American whenever possible..this just happens to be an occaision where spending the extra money is neither smart or warranted.
The manifold I bought was a copy of a factory manifold...the same one edelbrock copied from Gm.
Edelbrock is just an over priced copy by an empty suit living off of papa's rep.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts