El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 17 just bought my first car/truck a 1980 el camino and have started a restomod on it. It is sitting kind of low and I need to know if just throwing some shocks and springs under it will lift it? Im looking to get about 2.5 to 3 inches taller. Any info would be appreciated!
:dontknow:

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Welcome to the world of El Caminos!
I've raised my '78 3" by adding air shocks to the rear, and I put two 1 and 1/2" spacers on each side in the front springs. I still have a smooth ride, and it made it so I can run 20" rims on it with no rub.
I hope this helped with your question.
:beer:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I currently have air shocks in back and they are SHOT. Air em up and they go right back down! So I kind of want to just do taller shocks and springs if possible? Does anybody know what the original size springs and shocks are?
:dontknow:

·
0 Posts
You might want to get some springs from a roadmaster or 90-95 Caprice. Those will give you a lift and also you can get a big block spring and cut a bit off to get the right height.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
i got about a 2 "on my 72 using BB springs and shocks ... it depends how wore out your old springs are.

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,582 Posts
Are you looking to replace tired springs and return to stock height, or are you looking to raise it higher? If you're looking to get it back to stock, just go to Rock Auto's site, (a forum sponsor),and look up the Moog spring numbers for your application: http://www.rockauto.com/ http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php If you're looking for the best ride and handling qualities, toss the stock air shocks in favor of a good set of aftermarket shocks such as KYB or Bilstein, I highly recommend the Moog Cargo coils for the rear, if you're going to go without air shocks. If you need adjustability for heavy loads, a set if AirLift bags inside the springs will level the chassis without affecting the performance of a good set of shocks. BTW, Shocks have no affect on ride height unless they're air-adjustable, such as the stock rears on Caminos.
Here's some good reading from the G-body forum all about Moog spring specs if you're looking to experiment: http://jeffd.50megs.com/Moog_Spring_Page.htm
My current setup is stock springs up front, Moog Cargo coils in the rear, KYB gas-adjust shocks on all four corners and AirLifts in the rear. Tires are 235/60X15 fronts and 275/60X15 rears. Both the ride and handling are much better than the stock air shock setup. My only complaint is that it sits a bit too high in the rear, even with the minimum 5 psi. in the AirLifts. Without the Airlifts, it sat about 3/4" lower in the rear, with ride and handling qualities far better than ever before, but every now and then we'll have a motor, some firewood or some other heavy load out back, so the AirLifts are there for insurance.

Bill

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
You might want to get some springs from a roadmaster or 90-95 Caprice. Those will give you a lift and also you can get a big block spring and cut a bit off to get the right height.
beast nailed this one,,,use rear coil springs from a b body(caprice, roadmaster ,caddy)
i just happen to have a set of monroe coil over,,overload shocks(helper springs on the shocks itself),,good shape,,will help do what you need,,,if ya want them shoot me a offer,,,for front springs either use spacers like terry says or go like beast said and use big block springs,,,my onl question is ,,,why????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BillyJack, I am looking to go a bit taller than stock so I was wondering if anybody knows the actual stock spring size, simi can buy bigger
Woody31, I am more for the taller loom than the squatted down look, I just think mine looks stupid down low, we had the front and back jacked up the other day and both me and my dad think it looks way better up high.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,807 Posts
I used New G-body wagon rear springs & air-lift 1000 air bags with KYB gas-a-just shocks on my 84 !

·
Registered
929 Posts
Post a picture of how it sits currently, if it has stock suspension it could just be worn, and a set of fresh springs and shocks would do the trick. For kicks I bought a set of rear g body 2 inch drops springs, my cutlass sits very low in the nose and has original suspension. Even with the drop springs in the rear it still has a rake to it. A little lift on an older car can look good with some nice meats IMO, don't go crazy or it's gonna look like an unfinished donk :poke:

·
Registered
603 Posts
While you're putting your new suspension plan together take a closer look at your air shocks.The shocks themselves are pretty sturdy.I drove around for quite awhile with them bottomed out.The problem with mine was pinched O rings at the ports and the lines weren't cut straight and clean.Caused massive leaks.PO had installed replacements.Take some soapy water,air them up,put the mixture on all the connections and see if they bubble.There's your leak(s).O'Reillys sells a replacement line/valve/O ring kit for under $10.Run the air lines to the shocks,use a razor blade to cut the ends flush.A little bit of grease on the O rings and tighten the sealing caps down snugly.Don't have to wrench them on,that pinches the O rings.Mine still leak a bit,about 8 psi/month but they'll do for now while I'm putting my replacement suspension plan together.

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,582 Posts
BillyJack, I am looking to go a bit taller than stock so I was wondering if anybody knows the actual stock spring size, simi can buy bigger
Woody31, I am more for the taller loom than the squatted down look, I just think mine looks stupid down low, we had the front and back jacked up the other day and both me and my dad think it looks way better up high.
Actually, your answers are in my previous post. Look up the stock Moog replacement spring for your application on Rock's site, then find it on the chart I bookmarked. Look for another spring with the same rate that has a taller free height. That'll give you the extra height. IIRC, 1/2" increase in free height will raise the body about 1".
Keep Mike's post in mind before you select something too tall. If your current springs are tired, a fresh set of stock replacements will raise it back up to stock height

Bill

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
What is the spring height difference between the stock rear Elcamino spring .? And the Roadmaster ,Caprice rear stock spring height ? Thanks ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts