El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a 59 Camino in good condition for under $ 38 ,000 . Must be in good mechanical condition , body straight , good paint and free of rust . No projects , monster horsepower . Want to turn the key and drive a safe , dependable vehicle for a long distance . Prefer to drive home or have it transported to the Florida Keys . Seller would allow for a certified appraiser to check condition above and underneath vehicle for condition or rust . I am currently looking at and gathering info on 15 Caminos I have found online . Willing to pay a $ 500 finders fee if someone finds one that I am not currently aware of and I purchase it . Have been searching on Old Timers , cars.com , Ebay and Trovit . Send a private message or email to [email protected] . Should I not find a suitable 59 , my plan will be to re-power my 87 with a new GM crate ZZ6 EFI , 420 h.p. and upgrade drive train etc. Thank you

·
Registered
745 Posts
Lenny, have you tried posting on the FB page of NECOA? There are a lot of people on there and a few bit more "1st gens" on there. Also on a side note for the price of that ZZ6 you could basically go with an LS3 with more power and better fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
9,356 Posts
Best of luck in your search for a 59 El Camino. That's very cool, it's one of my favorites.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,316 Posts
Hey Lenny

He was the guy with the 59 that came to a few the Gainesville Get-Togethers
He was selling it, I think he sold it but I'm not sure if you want to send him an email ?

·
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Squag , Thanks for the Facebook suggestion . I am not on Facebook but sent a PM to 87next2last1 and asked if he could copy my ad there as he heads up NECOA on Facebook for us . If I re-power my 87 , my thought is that the LS is more complicated to install and set up than the ZZ6 EFI as it is throttle body and I think looks better . I am not capable of doing it myself and hoping if it is possible , to get Neil ( 464elky ) , to install it for me . Do you have any idea on the mileage difference ?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Squag , Thanks for the Facebook suggestion . I am not on Facebook but sent a PM to 87next2last1 and asked if he could copy my ad there as he heads up NECOA on Facebook for us . If I re-power my 87 , my thought is that the LS is more complicated to install and set up than the ZZ6 EFI as it is throttle body and I think looks better . I am not capable of doing it myself and hoping if it is possible , to get Neil ( 464elky ) , to install it for me . Do you have any idea on the mileage difference ?
Well I think with my 350 as a baseline I probably get around 15 or so mpg combined with the stock L31 cam and Holley Sniper EFI? A stock LS3 in a lighter vehicle like our cars would probably get 17 around town and close to 30 on the highway. I know when it's working correctly the LS2 in my Pontiac averages around 17 combined, and that's with a cam and a decent sized blower.
MPG asides if you ever get the bug in the far off future to add more power to it, the LS will respond better mod for mod.

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
Did you try Bring A Trailer or Mike Kelly's Cruise News or Hemmings Auctions?
You know where to send the check if you find anything there ;)

·
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chuck , I have tried Mike Kelly`s Cruise News and Hemmings but not Bring A Trailer . Will check it out . I responded to a number of online ads but only heard back from one seller . Being computer challenged I think I just did not respond appropriately and need to try again . Again , I am ready to make a purchase and if someone alerts me to a 59 Camino that I do not know about , I will pay a $ 500 finders fee if I purchase the 59 . Anyone aware of one for sale ?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
There's a black one in homosassa for about 48k. Pics look good. It's at a dealer. 15% less than asking price and save 1000 to 1200 on shipping and you're pretty close to your budget. I saw it on classics.autotrader.com

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,673 Posts
I just checked Bring a Trailer...no current active listings for a 1st gen. There is a nice 5th gen open for bidding right now. The last 1st gen they had was back in January. It sold for $29,779.

Reactions: Lenny Carey

·
Registered
1960 El Camino 350, 5 speed, GM 12 Bolt, 4 wheel disk brakes, air
42 Posts
Last year I bought a 1960... spent about 6-8 months looking... think I ran across at least one scammer a month, before I found my "forever" car... careful out there... lots of shady people trying to get your money...

·
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the leads and I am realizing as Magnum said , it will take a little time to find one that fits my need and what my budget will allow . A couple that I looked at online had already sold but info was not up to date . Since I live in the Key West , Fl area getting across country to see them will require a flight out . When I find one I am very interested in , I will first try to arrange for a certified appraiser to check it out before purchase . Some of them look good but the condition of rust is of major concern for me that usually does not show up in photos . The good news is that for me , there are a number that are now for sale . From what I have seen so far is that whether it is an effect of the Pandemic or money being tight , there are a lot of vehicles like 59 Caminos , 55 Chevys etc coming up for sale and prices have really fallen . I definitely plan on purchasing a nice 59 . Again , if someone alerts me to a 59 that I am not aware of and I purchased it , I will pay them a $ 500 finders fee . Thanks for your help .

Reactions: Magnum Wheel Man

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Senior Member Participating Member
916 Posts
Stay away from spray on bed liner! 😮

Reactions: Lenny Carey

·
4,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Antipixel , Thanks for the two ads . I have previously been in phone contact with the owners of two you listed one of which was suggested from TGMford . My wife has surprized me with a sudden interest in a 59 and an automatic is preferred . All of her cars have been and are manuals but she refuses to drive my 87 with a 350 engine , 5 speed trans , posi , and custom paint etc but is wanting a 59 to drive occasionally . She previously turned down an offer to do part of the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour with me in my 87 and has now suggested we do a P.T. in a 59 . El S one caution of spray on bed liners is food for thought as is the rust now coming up under the treatment ? Rust is my biggest concern . Trying to arrange an appraiser to look at another one for me and still looking for the right one for us . Again , I will gladly pay a $ 500 finders fee to the person that alerts me to one that I am not aware of and purchase it .

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You hold the cash, you have control over what happens. If you don't get a good vibe pass on it..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts