El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: :roll: I am thinking on putting a Hood Scoop on my 59' Elky & want to know if anyone else has done it or if anyone has a pic of one ? I bought this paticular Elky to "Customize" but not to get too crazy with it like some picture's I have seen...I'm into the Halloween sceen...I sold my 62' Cadillac Hearse to get this Elky, in which the Hearse had a Coffin Hood Scoop, Bat Visor & Bat Fin's that were about 5 Feet in the air! The Hearse's new home is in Oxnard, CA. incase anyone has seen it at one time or another. One good thing about "CUSTOMIZING" a car that way is that no one will rip it off & it's easy to spot! Let me know what you think...Thank's..."SKULL"

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Not really sure what would look good on a 59' Skull. Maybe a 70' style L-88 hood scoop. Problem is it would have to be molded on no matter what style of scoop you use, I don't know if anyone makes custom steel or fiberglass hoods for a 59'

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey Skull,

I own a 60 and have been considering the same modification. Fortunately, the lines of these cars are very overstated (as many of the late 50's cars were) so it is hard to "overdo it" by adding things like a hood scoop. I was thinking of cutting a hole and having a "bug-catcher" type scoop stick through. Since it mounts to the carb, it gives that "shaker" look and feel. Not sure yet, but I am also far from roadworthiness so there is time.

I haven't seen any fiberglass hoods for these cars, but I am still looking.

A friend modified a 59 a few years ago using the hood hinges and latch mechanism from a late 80's Buick (LeSabre?) full size. The hood opens backward - it was really trick looking. He told me the geometry of the two cars made it work without too many modifications.

Hey I see you are out there in rust-free country - if you ever come across a good tailgate for a 60, let me know - mine is rotted something fierce . . . .

·
Registered
636 Posts
Being in the middle of doing some extensive body customization on a corvette, i've found that the type of molding that would be involved is not that difficult. All it takes is a little self education and courage! :lol:

If this is somethin' you decide to go forward with, i'd be glad to help ya out with tips an' advice. Just lemme know! :-D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts