El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Good luck on that.

I'd suggest using searchtempest.com if you aren't already.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I did not much around here. Couple in NY and Jersey but 1200 bucks is a little high. Blew my rear on it's first outing. It was a junker anyway.

·
Registered
929 Posts
:dontknow: Was Mattyman in Ohio not just offering up 2 of them?
Those were 7.5s out of a monte ss. Hey BK, I will keep my eye out for you, I recently missed a deal on rear out of a 442 for 600, but it need new spring mounts and I don't have the technology, settled for a 7.5"

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for looking out there for me. 600 range is ideal but will look at all found.

Bud

·
Registered
742 Posts
I purchased one about a year back that had been rebuilt with the 3:73 posi...
Paid $1000 for it....
Doesn't help you out but at least another example of where the market value is on these.
(Oh, and this one had new heavy duty axles and brgs.)

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
107 Posts
BK, glad to hear you found a 8.5 rear. When I got mine they were more plentiful, but more expensive. Of course I took mine taken all apart and put brand new bearings in the entire thing double checked all clearances and the clutch packs. We also checked for proper contact between the ring and pinion. It helps when you know someone with the heavy duty press and dial indicator. The car it came out of only had about 50k on it so everything on it was pretty nice. One thing I can tell you to check for is the drum backing plates where the brake cylinder mounts. Make sure there isn't alot of slop when you mount in a brake cylinder. If there is a bit of slop back and forth from miles when mounted you can weld in the corners some (assuming your working with a good drum backing plate that isn't rusted galore). I hope this helps some of you in your searching. Keep in mind too that you will probably need to get a shop to cut down your driveshaft a bit to fit in the 8.5 properly (I needed to on my 80 SS ) & you should then get it rebalanced at the same time for your new gear ratio.

·
Registered
193 Posts
How much did you have to give for it?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Arm, Leg, First born.

Paid $700.00 asking price started at $1,000.00

·
Registered
193 Posts
It sounds like you got a good deal if you got it for $700.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If anyone is still looking i have a stock 8.5 3.42 posi and a fully built race 8.5 3.73 rear :beer:

Thanks Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts