El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for an 8.5 rear for my 5th generation---will rebuild so don't care about its condition---Pete NYC

·
1,867 Posts
Good luck. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure why you are saying that--have passed on three of them in the last two weeks---not the gear ratio i wanted---very available here in nyc if you have the cash

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Why do you need an 8.5? Building something with a lil guts? Although they're out there, for some reason the guys selling them must think they're made of gold. If strength is what your concerned about, for a few hundred dollars more you can assemble yourself an almost indestructable Ford 9" rear with a new (bolt-in G-body) housing, bearings and gears. An 8.5 has a larger/thicker ring gear and thicker axles then the 7.5, it's a lil stronger but your still dealing with a rear that uses "C" clips to hold the axles in. "C" clips break, axle slides out causing massive body damage and then heart failure occurs when you see the massive body damage. I know it's a mortal sin to stick Ford parts in any GM, but I gotta protect my baby! :lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I believe Currie enterprises www.currieenterprises.com has info on bolt up 9 inch Ford and 12 bolt GM rears for '78 to '87 A bodies. Informative site on differential stuff.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Gang---ended up with a GN posi 342--------my winter project---thanks for the suggestions!!!Pete NYC :D :D :D :D :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts