El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1981 400 4-Speed
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking as an alternative to installing a 3.23 in my 4.10 setup, to buy a complete rear axle assembly that will fit a 5th Gen El Camino or 78-87 G-Body. I am willing to buy it outright, or trade for my current complete and rebuilt rear axle with Posi and 4.10 gear, installed and ready to bolt in a truck. I would like a 2.73 - 3.23 gear. Nothing higher, (numerically lower than a 2.73).

Again, I can buy outright, or swap for my complete rear end. Perfect deal for anyone who wants to ditch the stock unit for a complete 4.10 ready to bolt in performance rear axle. I am looking to ditch the Hot Rod gear for a Hy-Way friendly rear axle, as my truck has NO OVERDRIVE.

Let me know if you have any ideas.
Neil

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The "Performance" rear gear was 3.08 on my '87, no limited slip. I'll see if my builder still has it if you are interested.

Of course it is in Yuma AZ, so there's that.

Reactions: Caballero Joe

·
Registered
1981 400 4-Speed
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I completely agree with you both. In fact, I have done extensive Speedometer vs GPS vs Sun Tach, and I have come to the conclusion that my car came from the factory with a 3.08 gear. AND.....according to my numbers tag, my El Camino also came from the factory with a Chevy 229 V6 engine. Further confirming it was likely a 3.08 gear from the factory.

Kat, that sure would be the right axle if I could get it, but I'm hoping to find something closer. But I will certianly keep it in mind. I live in Richmond VA 23228. I would at least like to know the axle's condition and how much, before I jump ship on a potential part. If you had an opportunity to get me some contact info from the seller, as I would like to talk to him as I don't want a rear end with known issues like broken welds or missing tabs.

When I originally started a quest for a rear axle, I thought this was gonna be a simple search, hop in the truck, and go pick up an axle, ready to drop in. That HAS NOT been the case. I keep forgetting my El Camino is not just a used car any more, it's a 40 year old truck, and good used parts are getting harder and harder to find! I do want to say thanks for the quick replies!

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Mine came factory with the 3.08 posi. I used a Quick Performance 7.625 posi and upgraded to 28 spline Moser axles. The whole kit is $550 without axles but their lowest gear ratio is 3.23, pretty much at the top of your preference for ratios. Just thinking a bit though, with the same posi unit is available with the 4.10. So, it looks like you could just swap the 4.10 for a 3.23 set. Like I said, just thinking......

Joe

·
Registered
1981 400 4-Speed
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, it looks like you could just swap the 4.10 for a 3.23 set. Like I said, just thinking......
Joe
Yep. And I have pretty much reserved myself to this as my only/best option.
In fact I've got another post pretty much saying a 3.23 is in my future. The problem is it's so freakin' expensive once you add up the parts and labor, that I went ahead in a last ditch effort, to see if I could find a more reasonably priced alternative. In this case, just find a complete stock axle. I can't think of ANY other part that cost so freaking much to have installed, than the ring and pinion. I mean, for real, not two years ago a SHOP quoted me less money to swap in a complete crate MOTOR than he quoted me to install a Ring and Pinion. So unless some miracle happens, I'll suck it up and do the 3.23. Maybe, just maybe, I'll find a decent "Performance" rear axle........ ;)

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Yep. And I have pretty much reserved myself to this as my only/best option.
In fact I've got another post pretty much saying a 3.23 is in my future. The problem is it's so freakin' expensive once you add up the parts and labor, that I went ahead in a last ditch effort, to see if I could find a more reasonably priced alternative. In this case, just find a complete stock axle. I can't think of ANY other part that cost so freaking much to have installed, than the ring and pinion. I mean, for real, not two years ago a SHOP quoted me less money to swap in a complete crate MOTOR than he quoted me to install a Ring and Pinion. So unless some miracle happens, I'll suck it up and do the 3.23. Maybe, just maybe, I'll find a decent "Performance" rear axle........ ;)
I see your point. I was lucky our diff tech at work owed me for a bunch of bodywork I did on his truck, we are still lucky enough to help each other out (more friendly helping than barter though). Never really thought what it would cost. If I didn't have a diff tech in my pocket I would have done it myself and probably spent more than a couple weekends getting it right. We pulled my factory pinion shim (which would have never crossed my mind) and put it on the new pinion and used the exact placing with the original carrier shims and got lucky on the first try. Pattern was perfect and backlash in spec so we buttoned it up and been good for about a year now. The Richmond gears do have a faint whine on coastdown but he warned me they would when we opened the box. I wish you luck on your search!

Joe

·
Supporting Member
4,528 Posts
For your search, you might try Mikesmontes.com. He usually has used diffs in stock. I've shipped them cross country before, and it's not exorbitant.

Reactions: bikerlaw

·
Registered
1981 400 4-Speed
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For your search, you might try Mikesmontes.com. He usually has used diffs in stock. I've shipped them cross country before, and it's not exorbitant.
Thanks for the link. They look like a great source I did not know about. They appear to have no options at this point, but I will keep checking back....

·
Supporting Member
4,528 Posts
Thanks for the link. They look like a great source I did not know about. They appear to have no options at this point, but I will keep checking back....
Give Mike a call. He often has used parts that don't show directly on the website, or may have other options for you ( maybe someone trying to sell a used rear end).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts