El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their stock El Camino headrests with a modern *safer* version? Mine is a 1984 Conquista, and even extended all the way, the top of the headrest barely touches the bottom of the back of my head (and I'm not even 6 feet tall). More recent Chevrolets have headrests that go much higher, so they would actually help prevent whiplash if you are rear-ended. Not that I am rear-ended much, but I worry about my head hitting that rear window.

I like the headrests in the latest Impala's (2002 and later), as a frame of reference. But they slide on 2 poles, the El Camino has the old 1 metal strip to slide on.

Suggestions are appreciated.

·
1,867 Posts
You would probadly be better off getting a more modern set of complete seats.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You didn`t say which seats were in your EL,You most likely have bench or 60/40 type,[Sorry if I`m wrong] If you do have the above, the headrest measures about 3 to 4 in.high and a single bar.Try a pair of headrest from bucket seats,they to have a single bar and are about 6 in. high and they will fit. Monte Carlo from 85--88 will work.Maybe this is not enough but its a start.Also you`ll need the seat belt guides because they are different. Good Luck , 87Last1

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I have 60/40 split bench. Sorry for omitting that.

What GM vehicles from the 90's or 00's would have seats that fit in a 1984 El Camino?

·
1,867 Posts
I just got a set of seats out of a 95 Z24 Cav. The rear brackets fit fine but I will do alittle mod on the front brackets. Can't wait to install them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I found a set of new hi back buckets out of a 90's S10 Blazer that fit well. Had to redo the floor mounts since I did pull a bench seat out of the Caballero. I am 6' and the head rest portion of the seat fits great.

·
1,867 Posts
The z24 seats worked out great. I have had been on the 78 buckets since the 80s so these seats are going to take time getting use to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts