El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello..my name is Mallory Beck...love in Tampa Fl. i recently purchased a 1984 elcamino 3.8L..it was in semi storage for 12 yrs,driven locally every 2 weeks. after rebuilding the careburetor the prom went bad...I know not why.No one in the parts industry has it p/n 16037390....or delco 519k 3002 06630 de1086..ordelco 7392....i have the old part in my hand..,cant find a replacement...any suggestions..thanks

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Computer chip inside the ECM.

I checked Rock Auto also and they have an ECM but you must use your prom.

Struck out on evilbay also. Hmmm.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome Mallory

x2 Sean
I was going to say Jet or Hypertech..

Darbysan may know someone that can burn a new one..

find out if its a 3.8,, 231 buick or 229 chevy..
and try this salvage yard search link.. there is a whole bunch come up there all over the US..
search for computer /engine..
http://www.car-part.com/

:texas:

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Hi Mallory,
Enjoy da site. :bigups:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Mallory, welcome from mid-Michigan.

Doug

·
Supporting Member
4,439 Posts
It is extremely rare that a PROM will go bad. I don't even know a way to verify a bad prom, other than to swap in a known good one. Only time I've have an issue is when burning a new prom for a custom tune- sometime you can get a bad chip. The reason you cannot find a replacement prom is that they are almost never sold.

Entire ECM's get sold, and the prom is pulled from them and your existing prom is re-inserted. The ECM's are relatively Generic for a generation of vehicles, but the proms are somewhat unique to the drivetrain and characteristics of a particular vehicle. You can buy an ECM from just about any 1984 3.8 ('84 was a one - off year for ECM's. Impala, Monte Carlo, Caprice, Caballero, El Camino), and it would probably work fine in your vehicle. Look for PN 1226454 on the case of your ECM ( for 229 3.8). This ECM was used in all of the above vehicles. There may even be more choices ( maybe an ECM from and '85 or '86). Worst case is that you would have to re-insert your PROM back into the new ECM.

Usually it is the ECM that goes bad, and you replace that- but install your old prom in the ECM.

You can contact Ryan at GMTUNERS.com . He may be able to burn a chip for you ( although his website says FI only!), but if it was me I would try a used ECM.

·
Elkybuick
2,811 Posts
Welcome From West Palm Beach, FL mine has been changed to HEI but it's a buick also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts