El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a gauge set up that has Tach........and a posi-trac unit atleast 3.43 gears.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi contact Jim at Super Sport Parts-he usually has posi units , dash componenets and tons of misc--great to deal with--315 337-2437-I bought a Pace Car and and Elky from him----Pete NYC

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Just FWIW

On the 80 I completely re-did the rear end on it with all new everything. It was an "Open Face" rear end. I looked at posi units, lockers and other options. Spoke with a lot of people that had both good and bad advice, for me.

I researched the limits of that 7.5". Stock they are basically built to handle 350 Lb./Ft of torque. With some new stronger gears they can do a lot better. I still wouldn't use one behind and engine with 450 Hp. (or more) and a "Standard Transmission" but a 450 Hp with Automatic tranny is a different story. I decided to go back with a 700R4 which "Stock" is also rated at 350 Lb./Ft. of torque.

I had a local transmission shop build me a 700R4 Non-Lockup with better pumps and clutches modified the pump housing and they rate that at being able to deal with 450 or so Lb./Ft. of torque. I got with Richmond Gear and spoke with them regarding the gear set for the rear end and possible upgrades and Decided to just rebuild the rear with all new bearings, seals, shims etc... and install 4.10 rear end. I topped that off with a PowerTrax Posi unit. It has no clutch disks to burn up or wear out and it was about the same cost but acts more like a Locker than a Posi.

We figured that with the newer stuff and the locker, considering that automatics steal about 10 to 15% of the power from the engine that everything was about correct for my 450 Hp. engine. Additionally I wanted to add a 100 to 150 Hp. shot of NOS and considering that I would generally be at or above 4000 RPM when it kicked in the driveline was not ever going to be a problem.

So unless you just have a boner for a 12 bolt that 10 will be alright with an Automatic. A lot of energy is absorbed in the torque converter at take off as wells as other parts so even nailing it at a light will be fine. You will not be doing that constantly just on Sat/Sun nights and not constantly then either.

Just for the information.

·
Banned
881 Posts
I topped that off with a PowerTrax Posi unit. It has no clutch disks to burn up or wear out and it was about the same cost but acts more like a Locker than a Posi.
Do you get a clunking sound when you're going around corners with the Power Trax? That's the only bad thing I've heard about them.

:mrgreen:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts