El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82 Elky, with a carborated V6 engine. The carborator needs rebuilding and the engine needs a tune-up, but I was considering putting a 350 in that I have in my garage. The 350 is fuel injected, so I have been told that I would need to get new mounts, computerize my Elky, and get various other parts. Is this true? And if so, how hard would it be to put the 350 in, and how much would it be costing?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The best thing to do, if you have that engine sitting, is get the harness from the Donor car and the computer. You'll need several parts from the donor car so hold on to it until you finish the project. You will need new motor mounts, maybe have the exhaust modified a bit, I'd change that out completely (Exhaust system). Do you know which type transmission you have? You could consider getting a 700R4 or possibly a 200R4 overdrive but that is not a necessity just a nice thing to have.

I'd change the gears in the rear to something like 3.73 up to 4.11:1 probably a Powertrax locker or a Positrack unit, again this is a preference not a requirement. If your truck is equipped with a Tachometer then that will need to be replaced also, V8s and 6s are different.

I am guessing that you have a computer, sort of, in your truck already and if you do it is under the right kick panel in the cab. Do you have any wires going to the Carburetor, more than two? If you don't that's cool, I can't remember when GM first put them in the cars.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Your 82 Elky already has a computer controlling the carburetor. But, it's not the right one for a fuel injected engine.

Putting a fuel injected 350 in an 82 Elky can be done. However, there are lots of other things besides the engine that you'll need. Wiring harness, the correct computer, sensors, electric fuel pump, to name a few. Finding all of these components can sometimes be expensive and difficult. Do you know if it's a Tuned Port or a Throttle Body fuel injection system?

It might be easier to put a new intake, electric fuel pump, carb, and distributor on the 350 long block and run it without a computer.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you have the time, and funds i'd definetly do the 350 swap, of course, only if its TPI, if its TBI, then i think you'd be best off switching to just a plain carb, that way you wont need all the computer junk. But if you had the money, and the time, and the space, you should be good, definetly would look into new exhaust, and be ready to spin because TPI systems have MASSIVE torque in the low end, its crazy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts