El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iowa is finally hitting some 70 degree weather after the winter season. When I stop to get gas or run into the store for about 10 to 30 min my car does not want to stay started when I start it up it will start up and then it goes to 500 rpm then 400 hold and bumps a long then dies. I start it up again giving it gas and starts rpms soar and then is back down to normal idle and away I go this did not happen when it was cold out. I would like it to stay started the first time that is not too much to ask is it? Any suggestions to what I can do to keep it running without helping it a long with the foot feed? :dontknow:

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
I know for mine I used to have to re-set the choke from winter to summer. However, I would not think you would be seeing the temp differential that I see in Vegas. Might just be a coincidence. Check to be sure you don't have a vacuum leak ( I use starter fluid, sprayed around all lines, fittings, gaskets, etc.)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds like the choke. Tinker with it a little until you find that "sweet spot". Sometimes this could take a while, but my car fires right up in cold or hot weather with no problems now. :beer:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if it has the q jet it may be dripping fuel into the intake flooding the engine.the one in my 86 is doing the same thing now. i need to pull it and reseal the plugs between the carb body and base plate. a common problem with a q jet.also check to see if your float is sinking,the plastic floats are prone to this as well especially with this new gas. run the car until good and hot ,take off the air cleaner .turn it off and look down the carb throat to see it it is dripping fuel.if you dont see any dripping open the throttle and look for fuel pooled in the intake

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where is the choke pull off? Also how and where do you adjust the choke on an electronic q jet? That is what I have I will check for the dripping fuel. The car has 175,000 on the motor it would probably make a good candidate for a rebuild anyways since I plan to drive the motor until it dies.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
once it is warmed the choke pull off wont give you a starting problem,you would get a bog when you step on it. the choke pull off is a small can attached to the left front corner of the carb. a small can with a rod that goes to the secondary air valve and it will have a vacuum hose that hooks to the t nipple just above the fuel inlet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts