El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone..I have my road test for my license scheduled on January 5, and I'm hoping to get my Elky all fixed up for it. I noticed the last time it rained that there was water leaking into my storage area on the driver's side. My dad and I think it's from the rear window leaking, but we're not sure.

Any tips or other ideas??

Thanks!

·
Registered
636 Posts
82Ellie said:
...My dad and I think it's from the rear window leaking, but we're not sure.

Any tips or other ideas??

ASSUMING the underbody's in good shape...the rear window's a pretty good place to start.

·
1,867 Posts
Yea, Mine had a little leak to but it stopped when my spray in liner was done so I assumed the bed sealant.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I got a tube of butyl rubber caulk at Home Depot, removed the lid, cleaned everything, and painted the surfaces. A 1/4" bead is about right, but tighten the lid gently while alernating screws because the stuff is pretty stiff and will warp the edges if you go too fast. The butyl rubber "never" gets hard and is also like glue. It won't leak again.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I noticed on my 76 when I was working on it that the two panels that make up the portion of the outter roof and inside upper bed (where it comes down behind the side windows) are not sealed. They are simply tac welded together then they installed the chrome over it. It covers the seam but it also can leak water and a lot of it.

If it leaks then it will get the back floorboard and the storage compartment wet. So that is something to check. I squirted water hose on it to see whee my water was coming from. So it was difficult but from the inside I used a calk gun and body and seam filler to close most of it off. It fixed my problem.

I noticed water gets in under the chrome top piece and runs down into the truck. I guess it blows under there when your driving along.

Anyway its just another place to look.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Both My 83 Cab. and my 84 SS had the same problem, both leaked at the bed seal and I'll bet if you removed your rear curtain and used a water hose and ran water in the front of the bed, watch inside and see it leaking at the two vertical panel seams on either side of the back wall down to the bottom seam that runs accross the top of the well opening. The water normally pools in the low spots just below the seat belt assemblies and wire looms. Removing the rear trim pieces will show all. The mistake in some cases is thinking that it's the back glass seal. The water hose test will show you for sure. Also , don't forget the semi-poor seals on the rear quarter windows as well. They drain down to the same pooling spot and can fool you too. The lower rear corner is usually where the seal will breach due to wind pressure.

USE 3M Urathane SEAMSEALER on the inside seams and in the interior storage well !! It comes in a pint can/ blue. It is grey in color and can be applied with a chip brush. The most important thing to note is that it won't shrink on you, and dries to a hard skin., and is paintable. Stay away from the asphaltic /byutal type sealers, they are messy and don't last under extreme weather conditions. The make up is like the top end urathane winshield sealers made by the same manufacture.

You could also use this to seal the bed as it comes in a caulk tube form as well, but you would probably want to paint it afterwards to match your bed, so cleaning out the body seams first in order to get a clean bead and fresh looking seal would be a good idea.

If you have the money, nothing fixes this better than a sprayed in bed liner, as previously mentioned.
Good Luck! 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts