El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Long story but the instructions that came with my Torque Wrench were incorrect resulting in readings being short by 10 ft/lbs, the manufacturer has since reissued correct instructions. I had a slight weep from my thermotat housing which until the new instructions were issued would have been tightened down at 20 ft/lbs, now I have tightened to 30 ft/lbs all is ok. I replaced the water pump a few weeks ago which means I would have also tightened to 20 ft/lbs and it should have been 30ft/lbs, it has not leaked. Should I re tighten to 30ft/lbs or leave it alone. Do I risk starting a leak by tightening to correct torque at this late stage. I used gaskets and Permatex 2. Your comments would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
All of the bolts go into the water jackets,, I would try to tighten them and see if it leaks and I would think it will not,, its a flip of a coin,, will it leak or not,, but I would try to tighten them myself,, but you are only 10 pds off,,, hmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Matty man:???:

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Call me crazy but I have never used a Tq. wrench on water pump or T-stat housing bolts, just a ratchet and socket.
But hey I'm from Texas.:nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Yea DDD too, never used a tork wrench for either, but I do use one to tighten my shoe strings!!:poke:
I'd say they will be fine?:dontknow:
Dnny

·
Deputy Director Supporting Member
2,247 Posts
Yeah it's actually better if Texans don't use torque wrenches. My brother-in-law decided to use a torque wrench on every bolt for his 68 GMC truck engine. He misread in/lbs for ft/lbs and proceeded to torque the timing cover bolts to 70 ft/lbs and after twisting the first two clean off, he decided to use a ratchet and socket. LOL Love to all you Texans....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts