El Camino Central Forum banner

101 - 120 of 210 Posts

·
Administrator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
When you click on "new", is there a way to select the number of days like it was before?
They are in order by the newest to the oldest, but no, at this time we can't select a number of days.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
87nexttolastone posted about a regional event this AM and I replied 6 hours ago. I just went to the new posts, followed down to old posts, and down past 7 hours ago posts, and it is missing. I went to popular posts and found it there.
Why is this site so unfriendly to regional? You moved it to the very end, now posts are being moved, we can't send mass emails, and that's all we know about so far.
Meantime there is a space up top for the 60th still (I'm not asking to remove it) and other events that is rarely used.
Who has say in the order of things? Is the site moving away from trying to encourage local events? We do get members from our regional events.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,713 Posts
87nexttolastone posted about a regional event this AM and I replied 6 hours ago. I just went to the new posts, followed down to old posts, and down past 7 hours ago posts, and it is missing. I went to popular posts and found it there.
Why is this site so unfriendly to regional? You moved it to the very end, now posts are being moved, we can't send mass emails, and that's all we know about so far.
Meantime there is a space up top for the 60th still (I'm not asking to remove it) and other events that is rarely used.
Who has say in the order of things? Is the site moving away from trying to encourage local events? We do get members from our regional events.
Chuck I sent a PM to the admin about doing mass email or pm's !
Asked this on the thread but no answer
Did somebody notify the programmers or whoever does it ? That we need the mass email by region to communicate with members thru Email, This is VERY VERY important to us ! If the mass email system is not on this system, How do we communicate with all members ? Is there a way to do a MASS messages by Conversations ? We use the mass email feature a lot
Got this answer
At this time, that is not an option as it runs into so many different privacy laws.
This feedback has been passed on to the team though.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Steve that is just one of the issues. My list is about other things along with the emails. It's hard to get new members active if they can't find the posts.

·
Administrator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
The default for NEW posts in new UNREAD posts, unless you change the unread filter. If someone didn't reply to your reply yet, it would not show up there.

- Cricket

·
Registered
532 Posts
As a less important issue - the edit feature in "My Showcase" does not save edited text. I tried it twice and it did not save the changes.

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
@Administrator
Merry Christmas Cricket!
Thank you for helping us with the migration.

I would like to make a suggestion on meeting the concern that the Regional Discussion Forums have more visibility by appearing near the top of the Forum list.

Relax guys. Hold your horses guys, while I present this solution.

Two weeks ago prior to migration and at least 5 years ago, The Regional Discussion Forums appeared near the bottom of the Forum Lists.

About one to three years ago, a change was made to increase visibility.
A second Forum List entry was added near the top of the list.
Basically today, the addition of a new Forum List named Regional Discussions Forums could be added and then like before, it can link to the Regional Discussion Forum (sub forums) below at URL https://www.elcaminocentral.com/forums/regional-discussion.73/

It is likely that those originally guiding the migration saw the top link as redundant.
It actually is, yet that was by design for the benefit of visibility.
Another possibility may have been a duplicate name for the top and bottom names that may have caused a failure of the top link during the database migration that caused a unique index error. That could be worked around when adding the top link by making the new top link plural, Regional Discussions Forum that links to the current lower Regional Discussion Forum.

My thoughts are that the new Regional Discussions Forums entry be at the top of list entries under Events and Projects section.

·
Administrator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
As a less important issue - the edit feature in "My Showcase" does not save edited text. I tried it twice and it did not save the changes.
Are you certain you are clicking SAVE at the bottom when you are done?

@Administrator
Merry Christmas Cricket!
Thank you for helping us with the migration.

I would like to make a suggestion on meeting the concern that the Regional Discussion Forums have more visibility by appearing near the top of the Forum list.

Relax guys. Hold your horses guys, while I present this solution.

Two weeks ago prior to migration and at least 5 years ago, The Regional Discussion Forums appeared near the bottom of the Forum Lists.

About one to three years ago, a change was made to increase visibility.
A second Forum List entry was added near the top of the list.
Basically today, the addition of a new Forum List named Regional Discussions Forums could be added and then like before, it can link to the Regional Discussion Forum (sub forums) below at URL https://www.elcaminocentral.com/forums/regional-discussion.73/

It is likely that those originally guiding the migration saw the top link as redundant.
It actually is, yet that was by design for the benefit of visibility.
Another possibility may have been a duplicate name for the top and bottom names that may have caused a failure of the top link during the database migration that caused a unique index error. That could be worked around when adding the top link by making the new top link plural, Regional Discussions Forum that links to the current lower Regional Discussion Forum.

My thoughts are that the new Regional Discussions Forums entry be at the top of list entries under Events and Projects section.
I will pass on your feedback to the team.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Good Morning Miss Cricket. @Administrator

Trying to help some more as we go forward.
It seems that some images are missing from some of the "ARTICLES".

Here is a post by HkdUp87 about the missing images for the Wiring Diagrams.

Cricket, this original Article Thread was a frequently referenced resource.

I played internet detective and did some Google Search to find any possible old code.
It looks like the images were stored in the old system in the following directory:

For example, the wiring diagram for the 1971 page 2 gif was stored in:

Possibly the /www.elcaminocentral.com/articles images could be migrated from the old server image to a similarly named directory on the new server..
If you "can find them" at least we might be able to build a new sticky thread and add the gifs.
Let me know if you need my help to generate a similar article.
Old Bear - Gale and his cats.

Edited:
So these images appear in probably 100 or more other threads, similar to this one:
look for a short in the purple wire from the flasher to the turnsignal switch,, it could be inside the column.. unplug the connector at the column and see if it still blows the fuse?? diagram https://www.elcaminocentral.com/d2/articles/wiring/701.gif

So we can tell by the name wiring/701.gif that it references the wiring diagram for the 1970 and is the page 1 gif

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,713 Posts
there was a forum section for the directors & deputy directors could post info that they could only see, no other members could see it, I think it was called directors corners ? Don't see it in the forum ? Also it looks like the forum Executive Committee can be seen by all members instead of the Executive Committee only ?

·
Administrator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
there was a forum section for the directors & deputy directors could post info that they could only see, no other members could see it, I think it was called directors corners ? Don't see it in the forum ? Also it looks like the forum Executive Committee can be seen by all members instead of the Executive Committee only ?
For now, the only private sections are those for staff members. It looks like the section you mentioned is not public to guests though, only to members who are signed in.

- Cricket

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,713 Posts
For now, the only private sections are those for staff members. It looks like the section you mentioned is not public to guests though, only to members who are signed in.

- Cricket
is it going to get fixed ? That only people that needs to see it will ?

·
Administrator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Good Morning Miss Cricket. @Administrator

Trying to help some more as we go forward.
It seems that some images are missing from some of the "ARTICLES".

Here is a post by HkdUp87 about the missing images for the Wiring Diagrams.

Cricket, this original Article Thread was a frequently referenced resource.

I played internet detective and did some Google Search to find any possible old code.
It looks like the images were stored in the old system in the following directory:

For example, the wiring diagram for the 1971 page 2 gif was stored in:

Possibly the /www.elcaminocentral.com/articles images could be migrated from the old server image to a similarly named directory on the new server..
If you "can find them" at least we might be able to build a new sticky thread and add the gifs.
Let me know if you need my help to generate a similar article.
Old Bear - Gale and his cats.

Edited:
So these images appear in probably 100 or more other threads, similar to this one:
look for a short in the purple wire from the flasher to the turnsignal switch,, it could be inside the column.. unplug the connector at the column and see if it still blows the fuse?? diagram https://www.elcaminocentral.com/d2/articles/wiring/701.gif

So we can tell by the name wiring/701.gif that it references the wiring diagram for the 1970 and is the page 1 gif
@Old Bear

Looking at getting the articles fixed however that will be a longer-term resolution with no ETA at this time. The data has not been lost but will need to be converted and cleaned up.

I have submitted a ticket to look into the missing images and will update you once I hear back from Product/QA.

Jeff M

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,713 Posts
Is there really any need to keep those sections private?

Jeff M
if it wasn't then I wouldn't asked, the staff members, directors, deputy directors, Moderators etc sometimes do have conversations that regular members doesn't need to see, that's why we had those separate forum on the old system

·
Administrator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #120 (Edited)
if it wasn't then I wouldn't asked, the staff members, directors, deputy directors, Moderators etc sometimes do have conversations that regular members doesn't need to see, that's why we had those separate forum on the old system
We can move it to the moderator section if you would like but we are unable to lock down or password-protect community section to certain user groups besides mods now.

I assume you mean this section? There really is not any activity in the since 2018 and users have to be logged into to view it at this time.

Responded to your conversation also.

Jeff M

101 - 120 of 210 Posts