El Camino Central Forum banner

121 - 140 of 210 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
@Administrator
Merry Christmas Cricket!
Thank you for helping us with the migration.

I would like to make a suggestion on meeting the concern that the Regional Discussion Forums have more visibility by appearing near the top of the Forum list.

Relax guys. Hold your horses guys, while I present this solution.

Two weeks ago prior to migration and at least 5 years ago, The Regional Discussion Forums appeared near the bottom of the Forum Lists.

About one to three years ago, a change was made to increase visibility.
A second Forum List entry was added near the top of the list.
Basically today, the addition of a new Forum List named Regional Discussions Forums could be added and then like before, it can link to the Regional Discussion Forum (sub forums) below at URL https://www.elcaminocentral.com/forums/regional-discussion.73/

It is likely that those originally guiding the migration saw the top link as redundant.
It actually is, yet that was by design for the benefit of visibility.
Another possibility may have been a duplicate name for the top and bottom names that may have caused a failure of the top link during the database migration that caused a unique index error. That could be worked around when adding the top link by making the new top link plural, Regional Discussions Forum that links to the current lower Regional Discussion Forum.

My thoughts are that the new Regional Discussions Forums entry be at the top of list entries under Events and Projects section.
Thanks Old Bear. That's what I was trying to get across, guess not clear enough

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,713 Posts
We can move it to the moderator section if you would like but we are unable to lock down or password-protect community section to certain user groups besides mods now.

I assume you mean this section? There really is not any activity in the since 2018 and users have to be logged into to view it at this time.

Responded to your conversation also.

Jeff M
Oops! We ran into some problems.

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

·
Administrator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Good Morning Miss Cricket. @Administrator

Trying to help some more as we go forward.
It seems that some images are missing from some of the "ARTICLES".

Here is a post by HkdUp87 about the missing images for the Wiring Diagrams.

Cricket, this original Article Thread was a frequently referenced resource.

I played internet detective and did some Google Search to find any possible old code.
It looks like the images were stored in the old system in the following directory:

For example, the wiring diagram for the 1971 page 2 gif was stored in:

Possibly the /www.elcaminocentral.com/articles images could be migrated from the old server image to a similarly named directory on the new server..
If you "can find them" at least we might be able to build a new sticky thread and add the gifs.
Let me know if you need my help to generate a similar article.
Old Bear - Gale and his cats.

Edited:
So these images appear in probably 100 or more other threads, similar to this one:
look for a short in the purple wire from the flasher to the turnsignal switch,, it could be inside the column.. unplug the connector at the column and see if it still blows the fuse?? diagram https://www.elcaminocentral.com/d2/articles/wiring/701.gif

So we can tell by the name wiring/701.gif that it references the wiring diagram for the 1970 and is the page 1 gif
@Old Bear

These images should be restored.

Let us know if you need any others missing.

Jeff M

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,713 Posts
@Old Bear

These images should be restored.

Let us know if you need any others missing.

Jeff M
another one

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
I see a similar thing related to @87next2last1 @Administrator

There seems to also be a directory that has "d2" in the second node that affects some of the article images.
Example:
"www.elcaminocentral.com/d2/articles/windows/PICT0021.JPG"

This affects the Article on Easy Power Window Motor Replacement

·
Administrator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
We still need to work on restoring the old articles pages but no ETA on those at this time.

I see a similar thing related to @87next2last1 @Administrator

There seems to also be a directory that has "d2" in the second node that affects some of the article images.
Example:
"www.elcaminocentral.com/d2/articles/windows/PICT0021.JPG"

This affects the Article on Easy Power Window Motor Replacement
Looking into seeing what they can do here.

Jeff M

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,581 Posts
We still need to work on restoring the old articles pages but no ETA on those at this time.

Looking into seeing what they can do here.

Jeff M

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,713 Posts
what is the status of the top header pic getting deleted & getting replaced with the words "Home Of The NATIONAL EL CAMINO OWNERS ASSOCIATION"

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,581 Posts
As a member that is computer challenged , I am somewhat confused with the recent changes but will hopefully adjust as I did with the previous format . Perhaps it is there but I have not understood it yet , why are the Regional Directors still not being notified when a new member joins ECC ? I used to search for hours trying to identify new members , send them a welcome letter with info that included our upcoming get togethers etc. . Then it was wonderful when I started to be automatically notified of who the new member was in Region 6 , Florida and some basic info about them but then that stopped ! I have asked previously why this has happened and when will this notification be restored . So far no answer . In addition to other members active support , this notification has been vital to our success in contacting/getting members to join us for our events and helping them to find parts/help with their Caminos . National Director Ken Rogers has been great on being able do do mass regional emailing that has helped us get our Florida members to be active and come out . Is this mass email function still available or has it gone away with the notifications ? Thanks for the efforts you have made and would appreciate a reply

·
Administrator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
what is the status of the top header pic getting deleted & getting replaced with the words "Home Of The NATIONAL EL CAMINO OWNERS ASSOCIATION"
I will submit a request to see if we are able to get this approved.

Jeff M

·
Administrator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
As a member that is computer challenged , I am somewhat confused with the recent changes but will hopefully adjust as I did with the previous format . Perhaps it is there but I have not understood it yet , why are the Regional Directors still not being notified when a new member joins ECC ? I used to search for hours trying to identify new members , send them a welcome letter with info that included our upcoming get togethers etc. . Then it was wonderful when I started to be automatically notified of who the new member was in Region 6 , Florida and some basic info about them but then that stopped ! I have asked previously why this has happened and when will this notification be restored . So far no answer . In addition to other members active support , this notification has been vital to our success in contacting/getting members to join us for our events and helping them to find parts/help with their Caminos . National Director Ken Rogers has been great on being able do do mass regional emailing that has helped us get our Florida members to be active and come out . Is this mass email function still available or has it gone away with the notifications ? Thanks for the efforts you have made and would appreciate a reply
@Lenny Carey

There are a few tools to help you with new members.

You can also follow sections to get notified of new posts and they will show up here:

You can set up email notifications here:

Follow / Following
  • Sections, Forums and Discussions you want to keep track of and find out the latest information on, you can also receive alerts based on your followed content.
  • You may also know this as subscribed content
  • You can also follow a user this allows you to friend a user and make them a safe contact. * Check out your friends directory to see who you are following and change settings.
You can also click your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select following.

Some other links to help out with finding new members.

Threads looking for replies:

Newest mebers under member dashbaord:

member_dashboard.png

Jeff M

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I've been gone 3 weeks and have noticed a few things. Some of them may have already been pointed out by others:

1) having other colors/themes with softer colors would be nice
2) I don't see an option to collapse a forum on the main page and that's a lot of scrolling to get thru. everything seems 'oversized' in my opinion
3) having lines/boxes around main forum categories would be nice as a visual distinguisher. I am NOT a big fan of the Apple Aero look and this just makes it harder to read
4) there used to be a note showing last login/visit time. I used that as a reminder of which threads to read and had been updated. is it gone?
5) I don't see a link on the thread in the forum saying "goto last read post". is this gone?

·
Administrator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
I've been gone 3 weeks and have noticed a few things. Some of them may have already been pointed out by others:

1) having other colors/themes with softer colors would be nice
2) I don't see an option to collapse a forum on the main page and that's a lot of scrolling to get thru. everything seems 'oversized' in my opinion
3) having lines/boxes around main forum categories would be nice as a visual distinguisher. I am NOT a big fan of the Apple Aero look and this just makes it harder to read
4) there used to be a note showing last login/visit time. I used that as a reminder of which threads to read and had been updated. is it gone?
5) I don't see a link on the thread in the forum saying "goto last read post". is this gone?
We pass on all feedback (both good and bad) to the team. We will see weekly updates (approximately) that are largely based on community feedback.

If you are using the NEW icon near the upper right-hand corner of the site, it will by default display all UNREAD posts.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Navigating Thread Listing

• Clicking the thread title will take you to where you left off, the 1st unread post.
  • Clicking the timestamp below the title will take you to the 1st post of the thread.
  • Clicking the timestamp above the last poster user takes you to the last (newest) post.
- Cricket

·
Administrator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Thanks for this. I'll follow up with the creative team on this along with Jeff to update this for y'all.

-Gerrit

·
Administrator
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Thanks, I have shared the additional images with creative who is working on the updated banner.

Jeff M

121 - 140 of 210 Posts