El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Painting is done and trim back on the 85. Now I need to buy new weaterstripping for the doors and rollup windows. I have reviewed a lot of the comments on here but would like the latest comments from the experts on this forum. I have the latest costs from Steele, OPGI and Dixie. Quite a spread. Steele at $292 for the set. OPGI at $140. Dixie at $105. This is for both sides, door and window, no adhesive, no freight. Is Steele that much better? I know generally one gets what one pays for but we all have stories that contradicts that opinion.

All comments welcome and TIA.

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
I used Steele Rubber seals after I bought some from gbody supply, because they were terrible.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,713 Posts
I bought some soft seals (I think that was the brand) for my 84 & then sold it, So I gave the seals to Jesse @kstmbowtie & he called me & said they don't fit !
Maybe he will correct me since I tagged him
Heard a ton of people say go with steele products

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have soft seals too and they're terrible. I may have to try the Steele rubber ones if they're more like stock.

·
Supporting Member
4,441 Posts
I've replaced mine twice. Once with Soft seals, once with another brand I can't rmember. Neither was as good as the original. Be aware that the replacements will have to "Set" to your door and window, and it may take some time for them to settle in ( days +). You may also have to adjust your door to gasket fit as well. It takes some patience to get the new gaskets to work. Would the steele be better? Don't know, but my guess is you will still have to fiddle with them to make them work well.

·
Registered
344 Posts
This is what Steve (87next2last1) gave me. No matter how much I adjusted the window I could not get it to seal near the upper rear. The way these were made it had a divet at that corner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
Steele gets their 5th gen seals from Metro. I have tried two sets and like kstmbowtie, I cannot get a seal at the upper rear without biasing the glass so far in that I have to put the window fully up before closing the door.

·
Senior Member Participating Member
814 Posts
I recently tried to replaced roof rail seal using Steele products. Same problem. Couldn't get upper corner rear of door glass to seal, I complained .sent pictures. Was working with a guy named Paul. He wanted the seals returned before he sent me replacements. Turns out Steele buys them from Metro. Steele has has some complaints of the Metro seals. Steele is now selling SoffSeal roof rail weather-stripping. They're a simpler design and did seal at the upper rear edge of the door glass. 😮

·
Registered
285 Posts
I recently tried to replaced roof rail seal using Steele products. Same problem. Couldn't get upper corner rear of door glass to seal, I complained .sent pictures. Was working with a guy named Paul. He wanted the seals returned before he sent me replacements. Turns out Steele buys them from Metro. Steele has has some complaints of the Metro seals. Steele is now selling SoffSeal roof rail weather-stripping. They're a simpler design and did seal at the upper rear edge of the door glass. 😮
I installed Soffseal in my '82 probably 6 months ago and have never been able to get them to seal right personally. Always have to open the door to get the window to roll up all the way.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dunno who did the seals or which brand on my cabby, all I know is that the top front corner on both doors (right at the bend like pic above) whistles like crazy at speed. There's enough room to stick a pencil straight into the car with the window up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts