El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Try searching for "smugglers box" on this site for some good discussions on this subject. If I'm not mistaken, the El Camino floor is based on a car or station wagon body. The area under the panel in your bed is empty and is where the rear seats would bolt if the floor were used in a car / wagon. It's the first question I had when I got my first El Camino!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Poncho Villa said:
Try searching for "smugglers box" on this site for some good discussions on this subject. If I'm not mistaken, the El Camino floor is based on a car or station wagon body. The area under the panel in your bed is empty and is where the rear seats would bolt if the floor were used in a car / wagon. It's the first question I had when I got my first El Camino!
That is almost exactly correct. I think part of the station wagon's floorboard is missing so the actual part where the seat sits is only half there. But other than that its Nick Name is "Smugglers Box". GM doesn't have a name for it.

Some people use that area and some don't. Its not big enough for a spare tire, it will hold a jack and a small tool box and if you hinge it you can put a lock on it and have it as extra storage.

BTW

I have never found a replacement lid for any year model that I can remember.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ElkyPete said:
Poncho Villa said:
Try searching for "smugglers box" on this site for some good discussions on this subject.
BTW
Thanks for the info. I fortunately have the lid in my possesion, so I won't be needing a replacement. But now where can i find out about how to use it like you were talking about: with the hinge and lock etc. for extra storage space...Do you have any resources on that? thanks again, Andy :D

P

·
0 Posts
ElkyPete said:
Poncho Villa said:
That is almost exactly correct. I think part of the station wagon's floorboard is missing so the actual part where the seat sits is only half there. But other than that its Nick Name is "Smugglers Box". GM doesn't have a name for it.

Some people use that area and some don't. Its not big enough for a spare tire, it will hold a jack and a small tool box and if you hinge it you can put a lock on it and have it as extra storage.

BTW

Some people use them for a speaker cab for sub-woofers. In this pic you can see that I've cut holes for 12" Subs.

Not sure if you hinged it...it would be water proof? :?

Garry

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
You could add a gasket to make it water "resistant" but nothing on the El Camino is "Water Tight". I often wondered why they didn't incorporate some drain holes there to drain the water out if the bed.

If you leave the Elky on an Incline (facing down) and it rains a lot you'll end up with a wading pool in the back!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Last year in chevy high performence or super chevy there was a 66 elky that the guy had a custom made cover that had hinges and a key , other that i havent even seen a bed foor for my 67 or any 2nd gens for that matter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Once you figure out how to seal the lid, you should drill a few weep holes right next to the seal to allow water to run out before it had a chance to leak. I would also drill a few drain holes in the bottom of the compartment to prevent any water or condensation from pooling in the bottom. You could weld a piece of tubing in the hole to prevent splash up from under the frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts