El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have on my hands a weird holley carb. while im running an edelbrock 650 AVS thunder series on my Elco (Darcy) i found in the back of my dad's shed an old holley that i can't identify. i kind of want to put a holley on instead of my edelbrock because i've always heard you have to adjust Holley less than edelbrock and they get better overall gas mileage.
The holley has R 6910 B stamped into the main body on the top right side of where the choke would be. everything i have found says that it should be an 800 cfm big block double pumper with an electric choke. but like i said it lacks a choke and there is no secondary accelerator pump. it does however have vacuum secondary.
also P-80 is stamped on the left side by the throttle linkage and R-81 is stamped behind the vacuum secondary on the left. my best guess is that it could be an old 6910 that someone refitted to go on a small block. (it was on my buddy's 81 chevy blazer before he gave it to my dad, which had a 350 in it.)
any thoughts or help would be apprecieated!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Is there a number on the choke horn, or is that where you're saying the numbers you mentioned are?

Someone might have been using it for racing.

As to the Holleys needing less fiddling...I have installed many Edelbrock 1406's over the years on guys' T's that had had a Holley and wouldn't run. I haven't seen one yet that didn't bolt on and drive off.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Holley list 6910 is a model 4165 carb (spreadbore) indicated at 800 cfm, Im fairly certain its supposed to be a double pumper but remember all of these holley parts are interchangeable and I'm fairly certain that except for dominators, all their throttle bodies are drilled for vaccum secondaries even if they dont use it. Hell a friend of mine even converted a dominator to vaccumm secondaries by drilling the port out. Its also possible the 6910 was available in a vacc secondary as well.

The upshot being that it could vey well have begun life as a dbl pumper. either way its a pretty good carb, I ran one of those on my big block monte carlo years and years ago and loved it

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
The only bad history of a Holley has been its power pump. That's been fixed. If you ever had a really old one, and it backfired thru the carb, the power pump would be shot. Not any longer. I have one on my '56, and it's backfired a few times thru the carb while setting the engine up, and runs like a scalded ape!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't actually know that Holley parts are interchangeable like that, but that makes a lot of since. while all i'll know for sure is that i probably can't use it since that's probably way tooo much fuel for my 350. but still a cool carb none the less. i appreciate everyone's input and thanks!:You_Rock:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Just took an Eddy 1411 off of my 59.
Never was happy with that carb, and the
shooting a steady stream of fuel from one of the secondary venturies
was the sign to go ahead and remove it.
(will look into it later---might sell it with a carb kit)

Just bought a Holley Street Avenger 770 and hope that this one will be less trouble
than the Eddy.

Not sure---only time will tell.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Holley specs for R6910: model4165,800cfm,pri main 122-612,,secondary plate- 122-86,pri nozzle. 025, sec nozxle. 037. I have every spec for your carb. Let me know if you need additional info. Happy to share.
Hope this is helpful
James:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Bryan, Eddies don't like fuel pressure above about 5psi. One reason I got rid of mine. Mountain Man build me a q-jet, and I'm satisfied with it. Oh, and I have NO ECM to worry about.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I have 2 electric pumps
One in the tank that puts out about 3lbs
and another inline that is capable of about 20lbs.

Bypass regulator mounted under the car where it is a pain in the
hiney to check.

It has been set to 5.5 per Edelbrocks notes in the manual.

Fuel is sucked from the tank, to the second pump, then off to the engine.
The return line is close to the carb so that the carb has a steady supply of cool fuel.

After the fuel gets to the carb, the return line runs to the bypass regulator where anything over 5.5 is sent back to the tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts