El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I shut down the engine, after about five seconds, I hear this "noise" coming from what appears to be the heater/A/C control. It's like it's lost vacuum all of a sudden and something pops loose. Also, I'm not sure the A/C compressor is working (a different problem, have replacement) at all. Is it possible that the vacuum plug on the control has come most of the way loose, or one of the hoses on the plug has come loose. The ball is connected to the proper line, but unlike the other A/C thread about the vacuum ball, I only have one vacuum outlet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:???:

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Sounds like you are losing vacuum and one of the doors is relaxing and/or catching on something. Search for vent "thunk" in a/c forum for my posts about it. Also, the cruise control vacuum tank (accumulator) has one line, the vacuum reservoir for the a/c system should have two. If not, it is wrong and your system is probably hosed incorrectly, hence losing vacuum.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It worked correctly until about two weeks ago. With all the problems I've been having, I think it's a vacuum line connection that's probably rotted and leaking. When I changed the dash and put in a "new" control, the connector plug looked good, and I THOUGHT I got the connector tight. It definitely worked correctly after the dash/control change. I have a "new" compressor/accumulator/venturi to install, but haven't had time to do that with other problems. I won't be makeing the change, I'll get it done, as I don't have the eqpt to do AC work.

Sooo, I'll start tracking down vacuum lines from the control to every place that I know about. I'd sure like to get it working before Belton.:smileyb:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just fixed something like that on my El Camino. I was also hearing a hiss when I shut the engine down. It turned out to be a broken plastic line that goes into the the vacuum controlled water valve on the heater hose under the hood; the valve that shuts of the water flow during A/C operation.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I switched my vacuum line this morning, and I can get air thru the vent now, so I guess by switching the vacuum line, I MAY have solved the problem. Didn't hear the noise I had heard when shutting down the engine. Maybe a cure????:beer:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, acauth1 did my AC work yesterday, and I'm well satisfied. The AC now plays freeze-out on me!!!:beer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts