El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the members photo gallery I have posted 5 pics of stuff I have bought and using for engine rebuild in my 84 elkie. Any comments, tips, suggestions, are welcome. This isn't the first hot rod I have done, but is by FAR the stronest one I have done. Most others were just stock rebuilds with mild cams and bolt on items. This one is much more indepth. Pics are on 5th gen page 5 called Humble Beginnings. Thanks in advance.

Robrhino

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Looks like Christmas time! :D Wait until you get it all together and it's in the engine bay...yipee :lol:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
One thing is "Don't use that Edlebrock Air Cleaner!" It is the worst air cleaner ever made. It is pretty, that is all.

The rest looks like some good stuff. So... What are your plans? I can send you my address so that you can ship all that to me except that Air Cleaner. :lol:

I've looked around at most of the rides and there are lots of really nice El Caminos the membership have. You guys should all be very proud of what you have, what your doing and what you drive around in. - When it counts! This could very well become the single best source of El Camino information on the Net.

Looks like you are in for a really fun ride when you've completed those upgrades.

·
Registered
165 Posts
workNprogress said:
On the members photo gallery I have posted 5 pics of stuff I have bought and using for engine rebuild in my 84 elkie. Any comments, tips, suggestions, are welcome. This isn't the first hot rod I have done, but is by FAR the stronest one I have done. Most others were just stock rebuilds with mild cams and bolt on items. This one is much more indepth. Pics are on 5th gen page 5 called Humble Beginnings. Thanks in advance.

Robrhino
Let me know how you like the flowtop air cleaner. The Edelbrock is ok, but doesn't have nearly the flow the one you already changed to has.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Guys that Air Cleaner you have in that picture (Edlebrock) it doesn't stop anything! It will allow the engine to take in huge amounts of dirt and dust. The flow numbers are good because it is like having an open carb in all ways.

Kelly,

I have one brand new one in a box and one I took off the 76. Just a warning but it can cause damage to your vehicle's engine if you use it for something other than just showing.

If you like that I'll give you the one off the 76 but a warning will come with it - Don't use it for real!

·
Registered
165 Posts
ElkyPete said:
Guys that Air Cleaner you have in that picture (Edlebrock) it doesn't stop anything! It will allow the engine to take in huge amounts of dirt and dust. The flow numbers are good because it is like having an open carb in all ways.

Kelly,

I have one brand new one in a box and one I took off the 76. Just a warning but it can cause damage to your vehicle's engine if you use it for something other than just showing.

If you like that I'll give you the one off the 76 but a warning will come with it - Don't use it for real!
I had one on an Olds Cutlass for several years with no problems whatsoever. The element inside has to be in good shape and they recommend them to be oiled for maximum filtering (I cleaned mine every 5k miles and re-oiled. The flow numbers were smaller than the K&N in the test I saw a few years back in one of my Super Chevy mags...I gave them all away recently so I have no idea what month or year the test was run. The reason they don't flow quite as well is surface area is smaller than the 3" K&N it was up against. With the air filter top the K&N would flow MUCH better.

Thanks for the offer, but I prefer the traditional 69 Vette style air cleaner for my two 350's

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I took mine off the 76 after noticing the hole in the element. It was being sucked down my carb on my brand new 383. I had been having problems with the darn thing coming loose all the time and the cheesy little brace inside didn't allow any type of tension from the hold down nut before it would bend.

My humbel openion is that they are junk, pretty junk, but still junk.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not going to use it, going to buy the K&N filter set up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts