El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I got my El Camino it did not have seats. I got some random bucket seats on craigslist and bolted them in so I could drive the car around. I'm not entirely pleased by where the seats are(both are too far from doors. middle of seat not aligned with steering wheel), but cannot just drill holes where I want them to be because the frame is in the way and it's not like I'm going to take the whole body off just to move my seats over a couple inches. This may be really dumb and a huge NO, but I figured I'd ask anyways. Could I weld a nut to the floorboard for bolting the seat into? It'd probably go something like weld nut to fender washer then weld that to the floorboard.

·
Supporting Member
4,504 Posts
The Floor metal is really thin- too thin to support the seat in a crash. Could you bolt in a piece of 3/16" thick x 1.5" ( or wider if needed) flat bar between the two existing bolt holes, and then weld your new nuts to the bar ( one bar for the front nuts, one bar for the rear).

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
Yeah, you'll need more strength holding the seat to the floor than a welded nut.

Are the tracks removable from the seats? Any chance you can swap tracks around to give you better placement on the floor? Although you'll probably lose ability to adjust them for different drivers.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Yeah, you'll need more strength holding the seat to the floor than a welded nut.

My 70 EC had nothing more than a simple extra thickness of sheet metal added to the floor support braces for bolting up its bench seat. Nothing super extra strong.

So that is basically what I went back with when I bolted in the seat tracks for the 95 Pontiac Grand Prix I'm using. Fortunately, these Grand Prix seat tracks were of a proper length for its holes to still reach the floor support bracing - front and rear.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bought some seat mounts to weld to the new floor boards for my 85. not sure if they make for the 70 but it is worth a look . try Dixie restoration or OPgI

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I was able to weld a piece of flat 1/4 steel to the front of the seat mounts on the grand am seats. Marked the studs for the Elky seats, drilled a hole and mounted it. The rear needed about 1 1/4" height added so I drilled a piece of 1 1/4 square tubing, mounted on the grand am seats and used a piece of 1/4" flat steel under the floor pan, bolted it all down and it's been good for about 9 yrs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually think I am going to go pickup a bench seat tomorrow for it. It's from the same gen El Camino so I don't think I'll have to do anything funny to install them. The bucket seats I had were ugly, uncomfortable, and inconvenient to re-position. Main thing that made me decide on the bench is the ability to have another passenger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts