El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, GM must have not engineered the crossbar parts strong enough on a lot of these manual transmission vehicles. My son had to weld his crossbar in his 39000 actual miles 64 Chevelle and my El Camino had been welded before I got it. Now the frame bracket holding the crossbar broke so I'm welding again. I have repaired quite a few of these in my life.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim

Automotive tire Tire Rim Composite material Wheel

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,582 Posts
No, that would not be easier.
fair enough, can you please explain why? to me it looks like a simple" pull the bracket off, trace a template onto a thicker piece of steel, drill the holes, use a hydraulic press to get the obvious horizontal offset, and remount.

what is it that I don't know?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fair enough, can you please explain why? to me it looks like a simple" pull the bracket off, trace a template onto a thicker piece of steel, drill the holes, use a hydraulic press to get the obvious horizontal offset, and remount.

what is it that I don't know?
It was a relatively clean break so I removed it by taking the tire off and removing the 3 mounting bolts and loosening the crossbar shaft. I beveled the edges of the break and clamped the pieces together and welded the bracket on both sides, about 30 minutes total including re-adjusting the clutch. I figure making a new bracket would have been around 1 1/2 hours, minimum, and involve more machinery and tools. I didn't have time to manufacture a part. It broke as I was leaving to run some errands and I did successfully complete the repair and run the errands is short order.

·
5,582 Posts
It was a relatively clean break so I removed it by taking the tire off and removing the 3 mounting bolts and loosening the crossbar shaft. I beveled the edges of the break and clamped the pieces together and welded the bracket on both sides, about 30 minutes total including re-adjusting the clutch. I figure making a new bracket would have been around 1 1/2 hours, minimum, and involve more machinery and tools. I didn't have time to manufacture a part. It broke as I was leaving to run some errands and I did successfully complete the repair and run the errands is short order.
yep, with your skill set and available tools that was a much faster fix. (y) I'm still wondering, if time allowed, whether a thicker piece would be better as mentioned.
I like to make repairs permanent, which is why on the 5th gen headlight switch mounting bracket, which is made out of plastic, I spent the $15 for a metal replacement bracket offered by one of our site advertisers.

·
Registered
1960 454ci th400 61cad int. & pwr options
84 Posts
yep, with your skill set and available tools that was a much faster fix. (y) I'm still wondering, if time allowed, whether a thicker piece would be better as mentioned.
I like to make repairs permanent, which is why on the 5th gen headlight switch mounting bracket, which is made out of plastic, I spent the $15 for a metal replacement bracket offered by one of our site advertisers.
If time allowed (which in this case it did not) I am sure that a better solution than welding the single sheer mounted 60 year old fatigued bracket could have been accomplished easily if the required tools and materials were in his garage. Since that was not the case we will have to wait until it breaks again to find out. :)

·
5,582 Posts
If time allowed (which in this case it did not) I am sure that a better solution than welding the single sheer mounted 60 year old fatigued bracket could have been accomplished easily if the required tools and materials were in his garage. Since that was not the case we will have to wait until it breaks again to find out. :)
another 60 years? I'll be waiting
Textile Toy Stuffed toy Snout Snapshot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts