El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my El Camino I told (apparently lied to) my wife that I wanted it to be my one and only toy car. This after having no fewer than 75 cars in my sordid past. Rewind to 2013. I sold my ‘73 454 Corvette to a friend of mine as an early start to my herd-thinning process.

This morning I was at a local cars & coffee gathering and saw a nice ‘76 Corvette. I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. When I got home I called my old buddy and asked him if he was tired of the ‘73 yet. Sadly, he‘s disassembled quite a bit and it hasn’t run for a few years. So one quick flash of the checkbook later and it’s mine again. I’ll be trailering it home later this week and be elbows deep into yet another project. And wifey’s Subaru will once again inhabit the driveway...

·
Registered
329 Posts
That's certainly an interesting hood storage method you have there. Looks like a sweet Vette!

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's certainly an interesting hood storage method you have there. Looks like a sweet Vette!
That’s my friend’s garage. I went over today and picked up boxes and boxes... and boxes of parts. And bunches of parts. And piles of parts. I had no idea just how far he had disassembled this thing. It was a very strong running car when I sold it to him. It looks like it’s been at least five years since it’s seen the road. I was first hoping that I might have a few days into making it roadworthy, but I’m thinking now that I may have a couple of weeks IF all of the parts are there. Did I mention that I have a lot of boxes???

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Engine swap. Keep the Camino, drive it like the Vette, the shell will sell no doubt. You get the best of both, wife gets a hubby with only 1 toy and the dog house goes empty a little while longer.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beautiful!
Sadly, it’s really not. It is a solid car but, just like my El Camino, some past owner painted it without proper prep work. Bubbles here and there, but not bad looking from ten feet. The guy I sold it to took the urethane bumper off and broke it into several pieces. He bought a replacement fiberglass nose and thankfully didn't try to install it yet. I’ve got quite a bit of work ahead of me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sadly, it’s really not. It is a solid car but, just like my El Camino, some past owner painted it without proper prep work. Bubbles here and there, but not bad looking from ten feet. The guy I sold it to took the urethane bumper off and broke it into several pieces. He bought a replacement fiberglass nose and thankfully didn't try to install it yet. I’ve got quite a bit of work ahead of me.
well it certainly has potential! The work will be well worth it I’m sure. Sounds like it’s a good bit worse off than when you parted with it. Be careful, she might hold a grudge!

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Engine swap. Keep the Camino, drive it like the Vette, the shell will sell no doubt. You get the best of both, wife gets a hubby with only 1 toy and the dog house goes empty a little while longer.
Wifey is actually pretty understanding. She knows I have a weakness for mechanical things. She made no noise at all about being kicked back to the driveway other than to ask that I give her rides to and from work on days with poor weather.

No “stripping” for me. Both the El Camino and this Corvette have very strong 454’s with very few miles on them. They’ll both be happy sharing garage space and being driven on alternate days as the mood strikes.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well it certainly has potential! The work will be well worth it I’m sure. Sounds like it’s a good bit worse off than when you parted with it. Be careful, she might hold a grudge!
Definitely will be worth it. Luckily he did fix some issues while he had custody of it. New vacuum headlight actuators. New heater core. Proper-numbered carburetor. Stuff like that.

Kind of funny that the darned thing is only about half a shade darker red than my El Camino. The El Camino was originally Grotto Blue and the Corvette was originally Elkhart Green. Since both need paint work who knows if they’ll end up back in their original colors or if I’ll just spray them both to match.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Definitely will be worth it. Luckily he did fix some issues while he had custody of it. New vacuum headlight actuators. New heater core. Proper-numbered carburetor. Stuff like that.

Kind of funny that the darned thing is only about half a shade darker red than my El Camino. The El Camino was originally Grotto Blue and the Corvette was originally Elkhart Green. Since both need paint work who knows if they’ll end up back in their original colors or if I’ll just spray them both to match. View attachment 131698
I dunno... that might be too much red in the garage.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'd go original color. See a million red corvettes, or yellow, or black, but that shade of green I think would be a little more special.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd go original color. See a million red corvettes, or yellow, or black, but that shade of green I think would be a little more special.
Yeah: the first time I owned this car my long term plan was to go back to the green. But sadly, too many other projects kept that from ever happening. As a rule I’m not really a fan of green, but I do like this particular darker green and I think it really goes well with the saddle interior.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
google.com/search?q=Elkhart+Green

yeah, I see what you mean. I prefer the darker Forest Green myself but red vettes are a dime a dozen.

google.com/search?q=grotto+blue+el+camino

emmmmm, Grotto Blue is okay but I think it looks a lot better with a two-tone paint scheme

either way, you've got some nice car there, now you just need to pick some colors!

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
google.com/search?q=Elkhart+Green

yeah, I see what you mean. I prefer the darker Forest Green myself but red vettes are a dime a dozen.

google.com/search?q=grotto+blue+el+camino

emmmmm, Grotto Blue is okay but I think it looks a lot better with a two-tone paint scheme

either way, you've got some nice car there, now you just need to pick some colors!
Yeah: you know, I may have spoken too soon on the color. It's been so darned long since I last owned it. I think it WAS the darker green. Now that I look at Elkhart I'm thinking that is too light from what I remember uncovering. I'll have to look at all the paperwork once I get it home.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shoot: THe codes from the tag was sitting right next to me here. #945 45 Blue Green.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
hmmmm, maybe this one?

americanclassicscars.com/chevrolet/158673-1973-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-l-48-350-auto-all-original-numbers-matching.html

I like this green but with a little more metallic in it to make it shine!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts