El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started buttoning up my engine bay and with a little Mothers alum.& mag polish really brings out the air conditioning lines , trans lines and break lines. This is nothing i only applied one coat and wiped off but by the time I'm done they will look like chrome.

This pic nothing has been done for two months.

This one ii just started but by the time I'm done :dontknow: Well i guess you will find out later and you will want to see how this comes out. This is basically for new members who haven't already seen my post on this detailing wonder:poke: Forgot it's overcast and the truck is under a outdoor roof so no sun shinning on it.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Robert, Looks great, what will Mothers do on the rear window trim and bed rails. Ken
Watch and see that's my project today i was going to triple check all my wiring and torque's but their all correct and it sure wouldn't be cool to take her out for a spin (I HOPE) With the new engine all dirty so today i will be detailing and the chrome and alum. all come out sweet with the mothers. I didn't really like it on the rims for some reason. Do your door sills they also will look like chrome. I will do some more and take a break and post more pictures or go to my photo bucket there's even videos of some cool stuff i have done

Here take a look at this but click on slideshow the pictures look a lot better. This is i think last year. This is the engine i just pulled out and it was still running great.

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m636/HKDUP87/UNDER THE HOOD/

·
Registered
671 Posts
sure looks good ! could you come do mine ? the more you polish the more like chrome it looks..........oh Mother ! good job.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Related, but different...
I have a 98 Maxima. The wheels aren't painted and they're not polished. Hard to describe. Do you guys think Mothers would, could, work on them to remove brake grime?

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use a buffing wheel on a drill it works.

Here's a short video and back out to finish the job.

click on picture truck not washed or waxed but is ready to break-in the motor tomorrow.:nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench::nanawrench:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
...Thats is sooo clean,you could eat off of it,but who's want to put food on it..!!:beer:
:beer:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
That 3rd pic of the engine...looks like the upper radiator hose should be closer to the radiator and the clamp should be closer to the end of the hose. It could pop off during your break-in spewing coolant everywhere and forcing a shutdown before proper cam break in. Might to want to take a look at it to be safe. Other than that it looks great!

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That 3rd pic of the engine...looks like the upper radiator hose should be closer to the radiator and the clamp should be closer to the end of the hose. It could pop off during your break-in spewing coolant everywhere and forcing a shutdown before proper cam break in. Might to want to take a look at it to be safe. Other than that it looks great!

It isn't hooked up in the picture but good catch .
Robert

·
Registered
88 Posts
hey guys ,another great polish is Wenol works great on aluminum,chrome,brass,copper, it is a German polish and works great:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check out Big Lot's I just got the red plastic bottles of Mother's chrome $ Wheel polish $2.50 ea. and some turtle wax tire black? it's a gel and works great at like $2.50 ea. and big heavy micro fiber towels $5.99 ea. There the size like the towel you through on the bathroom floor at a hotel and they work great. They had a lot of other name brand stuff to for your car.:nanawrench:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks looks like time to start the next project I'm thinking of replacing the entire front suspension with all new parts. Like you said it will probably be an on going project till I pass it on to my granddaughter and that's another 15 years. It just never ends.:nanawrench:

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,087 Posts
Robert......LOOKS GREAT! :You_Rock:

One thing though, I have tried the buffing wheel on the drill but had some issues with not being careful enough. Now I just use some steel wool and elbow grease.

What will be interesting here is how long this lasts?

Need to keep a log on when you do it and when you see it needing to be done again.

Seems like all I do is polish my fittings and polished aluminum.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Robert......LOOKS GREAT! :You_Rock:

One thing though, I have tried the buffing wheel on the drill but had some issues with not being careful enough. Now I just use some steel wool and elbow grease.

What will be interesting here is how long this lasts?

Need to keep a log on when you do it and when you see it needing to be done again.

Seems like all I do is polish my fittings and polished aluminum.
I did that whenever the thread was started and all i do now is wipe it down with a micro fiber towel that's the trick is the towel and it still looks almost the same with little effort.:secret::secret:
Robert

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,087 Posts
I did that whenever the thread was started and all i do now is wipe it down with a micro fiber towel that's the trick is the towel and it still looks almost the same with little effort.:secret::secret:
Robert
When I put the new motor in my '87 Choo Choo, I polished up the TPI runners, intake, air plenum, and put some real nice polished aluminum valve covers on. That was about 2 years ago.

What I see now is the polishing is dulling on all that and I use Mother's Aluminum polish to get it back up to a real nice shine. The polish I am using does not have or leave anything protecting the surface, so I want a "protection" wax once I get this polished up.

Keep me posted on how long the shine on yours lasts. First time I did mine it lasted longer than it does now.

·
Registered
478 Posts
After surfing around the forums last week, I came across this. Since this polish is already in my cleaning arsenal, I tried it on the underhood items, and WOW, the stainless pieces really POP out. Thanks for posting this helpful thread.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After surfing around the forums last week, I came across this. Since this polish is already in my cleaning arsenal, I tried it on the underhood items, and WOW, the stainless pieces really POP out. Thanks for posting this helpful thread.

Use a micro fiber towel after polishing on everything including the hoses and all the plastic even after armor all and it will POP again and blow your mined how it can look even better.:secret::secret:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts