El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i stated tearing apart my interior recently, but bad weather and the need to get my grand am ready for inspection has halted my progress for the time being. seems i have quite a bit of work ahead of me, especially since i'm changing my interior from beige to black. the trim is so flaky....

·
Registered
449 Posts
I see why there was a shortage of duct tape in 1988. I'm in the same boat as we are speaking. Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Some serious duct tape you have going on there. No wonder you want to freshen it up. Good luck on dying & painting the plastics.

~JM~

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and here is stuff torn out. the inner door metal looks pretty clean. not bad for an old car. more pics will come when i am able to do more work on it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some serious duct tape you have going on there. No wonder you want to freshen it up. Good luck on dying & painting the plastics.

~JM~
actually, i'm looking at trying to find some of the pieces in a little better shape than the flaking busted piecses. my plan is to wrap all of it with black "pleather". also have some other ideas with diamond plate in the dash, though i may go with wood grain. haven't quite decided yet.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Diamond plate on the dash? I hope you're talking about plastic diamond plate and not the metal? The metal might kill you or a passenger in an accident and I doubt your insurance company would cover any injuries from it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Diamond plate on the dash? I hope you're talking about plastic diamond plate and not the metal? The metal might kill you or a passenger in an accident and I doubt your insurance company would cover any injuries from it.
hadn't thought about that in regards to dash materials, makes sense though. I've thought about. making a new dad from wood (I do woodwork as a hobby and have worked as a cabinetmaker), but I guess it'd need to get padded and wrapped.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i already thought of that bobby. looking for a nice looking simulated diamond plate, possibly vinyl, or maybe even carbon fiber wrapping. not quite sure yet. it's still in the planning phase and a long way off as of right now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Get an OPGI catalog and replace one piece at a time. Seats should be easy, your local junk yard should have a few G bodies with good seats still in them. Stay away from the El Camino Store catalog, slow service and their phone is never answered. As for the Dash, i would find a Monte Carlo, El Camino or Malibu and restore it. :nanawrench:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts