El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,567 Posts
As I posted before, I'm a big fan of rinseless washes for both my Camino and the family daily driver fleet. Meguiars has discontinued their D114 rinseless wash, but I've found both Duragloss and Optimum's products to be superb. At $39.99 typical cost per gallon, which yields 128 washes using 2 gallons each, it's a bargain. I'll drag out the hose only if I've been on a muddy, unpaved road, or for my major spring cleanup on a DD that's been through a PA winter. My favorite wash media is the Meguiar's or Blackfire microfiber mitts, which are designed to release the accumulated dirt with a firm shake in the bucket.
The video embedded in Autogeek's catalog page, http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-rinse-free-express-wash-and-wax-d11501.html
shows some good technique of both the rinseless and waterless wash procedures.
Another time-saving step with both a hose or rinseless wash is to use a spray wax, such as Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax (D156 in gallon form), or Duragloss Aquawax, among others, as a drying aid. After a light preliminary wipe just to remove any heavy water, fog the panel with the spray wax, then wipe it dry with a clean microfiber. Not only does the drying process go quicker, you've boosted your wax protection.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
1,567 Posts
I use a similar technique with my rinseless washes. Rather than a MF towel, I prefer either a Meguiar's or Blackfire MF mitt. The Griot's mitt is both thicker and softer, but since it's a gray color, you can't see the dirt as well as the others I use, which are white.
I'll make a pass lengthwise along each panel, then reverse direction, winding up with two dirty edges. Flip it over and repeat. After 4 passes, a vigorous shake in the bucket dislodges all but the most stubborn dirt.
I may be a little OCD about some aspects of my process, but with a Dark Burgundy, original paint Camino and a black daily driver Lacrosse, some extra care when washing or wiping saves me polishing time later-and as I mentioned earlier, there's not a whole lot of paint left to polish on my Camino.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I finally found the sponge wedges in the bottom of my car show detailing bag.

I have found them useful in the engine compartment getting into tight spaces.
They also fit A/C outlets pretty well.

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm a fan of Easy-Off oven cleaner for the engine, Brillo and SOS pads for the white lettered tires and glass stove top cleaner for all painted surfaces! Seriously, I use most of the products/techniques mentioned here. I'm a big fan of the Junkman. Lately. I have been using a product called F-11 on my paint after cleaning/claying, etc. I really like the results. Unfortunately, it's more than a dollar. :-(

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Coca Cola for rust.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'll start with Q-Tips. I buy a small supply and transfer them to a clear plastic box to keep them clean until used.

Examples of using them for automotive detailing include:
Cleaning in hard to reach small places like around the lug nuts.
Dipped in an appropriate solvent, they can help remove dried fuel lacquer from a carb leak.
Buy the Real Q-Tips. I had a huge bag of generic ones and the cotton tip would come off. Hate to think of getting it caught deep in my ear?

·
1,567 Posts
Here's one that won't even cost $1.
Got some of those foam "can koozies laying around?
They'll fit perfect on most aerosol window cleaner cans, or even 12 oz. round pump spray bottles. Then you can set 'em down on the hood or roof without danger of sliding off as you work your way around.

Bill

21 - 30 of 30 Posts