El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This area looks to be the best place to post this, so here goes :D

What are your plans for your Ekly? For me, I'm making my '78 into a combination of a Conquista and an SS.

The Conquista part is pretty much done, I transfered the entire interior from an '84 Conquista into my '78. Mine came with the light blue int with vinyl bench seat and standard gauges. The interior is now gray with PW, PL, sport gauge pkg., and a split bench pwr seat from a Regal.

The SS part is still being worked on. The org. 305 was gone when I bought it. I put in a freshened up 350, and had the TH350 trans rebuilt with a shift kit and a TCI sizzler torque conv. I bought a 3.73 Monte Carlo rear end for it and the guy threw in a Monte SS front sway bar too :) I swapped out the stock steering box for the Camaro "Z" box too. I havn't installed the rear end or sway bar yet, still waiting on more $$$ for bushings.

The body is still in need of attention. A drivers side 1/4 will be ordered hopfully within the next month and off to the body shop it goes. I'm looking at having it painted the same color dk. blue Chevy is using on the Trailblazers, with silver along the bottom. Finishing it off will be the "Super Sport" decals that go on the bottom of the doors, with both SS and Conquista decals on the tailgate.

After all that, I'm sure somthing else will need attention, maybe a little more "work" on the engine :wink: Lets here some other Elky hopes and dreams!!!! :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think maybe the Bench Racing Forum would be best... maybe we can move it over there...

Good topic though! (trying to drum up conversation on a new board is always tough!)

I bought my 70 last may- the car was & is very nice, complete, looks good, drives pretty good- So I pretty much just drove it as it was for the summertime- then starting in august I began the "making it mine" stage... :lol:

I cut off the exhaust and went with 2.5" all the way with an "X" pipe and Edelbrock RPM Muffs- Then I yanked the peg-leg 3.08 gears and swapped up to an eaton posi & 3.73s, all new axles, driveline yokes, etc etc.

I got rear-ended in september, and decided to do a little customizing along with the fix- went with a smooth tailgate, no backup lights or emblems-

I just had the whole front end re-done- new ball joints, new brake calipers, new rotors, bearings, etc etc.. I had new springs & shocks added out back- soon gonna have AirBags put in, and i'm looking for the rest of the F41 rear suspension to add too (boxed control arms & sway bar)

Next Comes the interior- THe Previous owner had the whole thing re-done just before he sold it, but he did it in this bright red-fabric- Blech :oops:

So- I just located & bought a set of 68 Impala buckets, They are going to the upholsterers shop in another month, for new covers- Combo black vinyl & dk gray cloth (goodbye bright red!)

Looking a little further down the road... I gotta get a better cam & some decent heads! That'll probably be next summer/fall- I think i have enough projects going right now! :lol: 8)

·
Registered
123 Posts
On my '81 I dropped a 350 4bolt main, turbo 350 with a MTS fabricated crossmember for dual exhaust and header clearance and a monte ss 3:73 rear end. It had great pickup with the 3:73's but it sucked on the highway. The 3:73's are good to use if you have an overdrive trans. I ran at about 3700 rpm's at 70 mph with 26 in. tall tires. I switched to 2:73's and was much happier.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I also put an F41 steering box, frame braces, swaybars on(sweet! big help!) and poly body bushings (dirty job).I changed the gauges to 120 mph speedo and 6k tach. As for plans I'm working on the body and paint. I'm also changing over the interior to bucket seats, console shifter and tilt column with no lever. This is my second '81. I've also owned 1 '80,2 '66's, 4 '67's and still own a '67 chevelle big block. lots of fun!

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey my plans are to restore my 76 el camino classic to the best i can, which is im starting on the interior then the engine. so far the body isnt too bad but still needs work, with the rust and such. i got a powerfull 400 so im not really needing a new engine cause i can manage with that

·
Registered
195 Posts
My plans are to paint my elky black cherry with a steel cowl induction hood and drop in a 400 small block with a 350 horse cam with headers and a 600 holley and true duals with a pair of flow masters and 373s and may be 16 or 17 inch pollished tork thrust wheels lowered 2 inches.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My plans for my '68 Elky are to rebuild the 396 and the TH400 to get the poor thing running so I can drive it back and forth from home to work and start doing the things I hate doing the most, fixing previous owners repair attempts. We've all been there, cleaning up after persons with lots of enthusiasm but no talent and they usually do more harm than good, armed with all the necessary tools for all jobs, a pair of Vise-Grips, a sledgehammer, propane torch and endless supply of Duct tape and silicone sealer.
Now I'm prepping the engine block where I work and sure enough, as soon as the engine had been set up on the stand, 15 self acclaimed experts appeared from nowhere, giving me all kinds of tips and unwanted recipes for the ultimate engine combination. Most give me the dropped jaw, wide open eyes-look when I tell them what I'm striving for and I get a big kick out of bursting their bubble after endless lists of trick cams, compression ratios, oversize valves, etc., have been poured over me.
I don't like it when people attempt to live vicariously through me and after all, I'm the one paying for the whole thing. I'm going for a stock rebuild, all the trick stuff will have to wait until later.
In my old country of Iceland, the old american cars are very few and far between and in the winter they put ungodly amounts of salt on the roads (and winter is LONG!) so undercarriage rust is usually what kills any automobile over there. I'm so glad I now live in south central Texas where it doesn't snow and there are quite a few more El Caminos left, there are like four '78 Elkys left in existance in Iceland.

·
Banned
881 Posts
I'm doing three things with my 87 Elky. Drive it, enjoy it, and keep it a long time. I put about 2500 miles a year on it, so hopefully it'll stay in good shape. Maybe I'll drive it in a parade some day. And in my will, I'll give it to my grandson.
:mrgreen:

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
The list is long but here's an idea:

Complete new interior with 98 Trans Am seats, custom gauge cluster, center console etc.

Replacing the front and rear bumpers with fiberglass ones from Lauren Eng. adding front lower spolier, and a steel 2" cowl hood. Fill in the tailgate license pocket. Add a bed cover. New paint job with Silver Green Metalic paint.

1 1/4 front sway bar, jouce bars, quick ratio gear box from a Grand National, Polyurathan bushings everywhere.

And one last little thing. An LT1 and 4L60E tranny from a 95 Impala SS. Mild build up for about 300-325 HP.

In a nut shell that's what I've been doing for the last year. Hopefully the motor will be done and installed within the next 3 weeks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, my '67 pretty much is as it was when it came from the factory. Mom painted it twice, and although it looks pretty good from a distance, it could stand a good body make over. It has never been hit, so the sheet metal is straight, just the little parking lot dings. Dad used it as a "truck", so I need to chase some dents in the bed. I have replaced the bed rails, rear corners and top trim on the tailgate, and have the 4 rail pieces that go up and over the cab that I found at a swap meet. These have been re-chromed and are stored in a box in the basement waiting for the bodywork to begin. All the emblems have been replaced, as well as the grill and rear bumper. There is the typical rust below the rear window, so the glass needs to come out and that area addressed. Also need to replace all the door rubber. The front end also needs to be rebuilt. The engine is a stock 283 California "smog" motor, and it is a 3 on the tree 3-speed manual. I'll run this for now, as it only has 65,000 original miles no it. Down the road there may be a 330 hp crate motor and 4 speed in the picture. I picked up a '67 Chevelle column from a floor-shifted car to complete this future engine/trans swap. For now, I just drive it. The rest will come as it comes. :wink:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine's going to be a full blown custom. Body dropped (chaneled) 2"-3" (will be the onle BDed El I've ever heard of) then a full fast bag suspension with a notched rear end (I want to lay frame, and tuck the 275s in the rear) A custom front & rear end treatment (per my design) and a wild custom interior (all red digital gauges, with black vinyl) hidden fuel cell & nitrous tank to power the 350, and I already have the 700-R4 & 3.73 posi

·
Registered
349 Posts
i plan to do pretty much a full restoration on my '79 elky. i am going to swap the frame out and drop in a 350 for a little extra power. i am redoing the black interior except i added high-back g body bucket seats and i am adding a console. the car will be painted two tone silver with black on top and i want to black out the grille, trim, and the bumpers.i am also going to repaint the rally wheels to match the black and silver color scheme. i would like to add a hood scoop somewhere down the line, along with a few other things.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A Storage shelf and towel rack for the garage.

Someday soon I hope to put in an 8.5" 10 bolt 4.10 posi which has now be laying on patio the the last 2 years. A new paint job too since the lacquer has cracked and a new cover for the driver's side bucket If I can find one.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
ElkySS said:
MechEng,
very nice platform to start with...
Yeah...no kidding! Mine may not be pretty, but she's my daily driver and not used for a storage bin :lol: I'm pretty good with my hands when you're ready to put those shelves up....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks guys. I did drive it through Chatanooga in July of 78, wife and I were headed to Florida on our honeymoon!
I drove it daily for the first 3 years and retired it in '84 at 67,000 miles. Never was it driven when there was salt or salt dust on the roads. Drove the wife crazy but I never caved!
Typcially it burns maybe a tank of gas per year unless I have major repar issue with on the Sub or Caprice
Always starts quick but sometimes a little fussy in the cold with its Competition 268 cam. Sorriest thing I did to it was putting in a hi-stall torque converter to compensate for the 2.41 gear ratio. I killed the mileage and of course all that heat energy is transfered into the transmission fluid.
Typcially it burns maybe a tank of gas per year unless I have major repar issue with on the Sub or Caprice. Then to work it goes!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Looks like a pretty nice SS under all those boxes....what kinda wheels are those?

I started out buying my Elky with the original LM-1 350 having been rebuilt to 325hp and the original TH-350 tranny rebuilt as well. I've replaced all the accesories and radiator, added "F-41" bars to the lower rad support (they're not really part of the F-41 package, but that's what everyone calls them) and added an MCSS rear sway bar.

Plans for the immediate future include headers and a no-cat true dual exhaust system. After this, the 1406 will be replaced and the hood will be replaced with a steel cowl induction model from Goodmark, then a 3.73 rare axle gearset to replace the factory 3.08 posi.

Then works starts on restoring the interior. Swivel buckets and a console (I'm going to build one...probably Mahogany), then a new dash and panels for the door to match. I'm going to change the color from beige to black if I can get the parts....

·
Registered
83 Posts
My plans......

:D When I first decided on the elCamino that I purchased I thought I was getting a driveable vehicle. Not one riddled with rust. It was advertised as "a rust-free desert southwest car". So my origional plans have been altered slightly. I had a relative check out the car while I talked to him on a cell phone. I wasn't aware at the time that he was as blind as a bat! :x ( sorry for the slight to bats) Unfortunatly I had at one time trusted this relative, so when he told me 1 day before I was to fly to Vegas and get the car that I needed to send the money to secure the car I should have hung up the phone. But I fell into my private hell instead.
Oh sure it sound funny now, but my wife still doesn't smile about it.

I know what people talk about when they have to spend hours fixing what some bone head tried to "modify" with chewing gum, nail polish, and duct tape. On the drive up north I found out the hard way what a half assed repair job will get you. It will get you into the clutches of a dishonest tow truck operator, that what it will get you. I guess I was lucky to get the car home though, :cry: because that is when the real fun happens. I've gutted the interior, replaced the heater core, wiper motor, starter motor, water pump/pulley/belts, replaced the front windshield, eaten pounds of rust dust, had patches welded in the floor, and rear window sill replaced, replaced guages, bulbs, screws.... :?

Now my plans have shifted toward making a usable vehicle in the short term. The body has potential, and I might be able to make the motor hold until I find out how much my wife will sacrifice toward this project before she pulls the plug. It will be a gonner if something major happens.
I do need to hurry with repairs so that I can sell my other car and make this my driver. Then If all goes well I can add parts to restore this car to what it should have been when I picked it up. :lol:

This was the first and last vehicle that I have, or will ever purchase sight unseen. I'm hoping that I can return the favor some day to the dirt clod that sold me the car. As far as the relative goes he's dead in my eyes. R.I.P. :twisted:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts