El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a new set of body mounts and want your opinion. Prothane, or Energy Suspension brand body bushings/body mounts as well as sway bar bushings. Both of them I'm looking at are the red polyurethane types. Also from the looks us if they suggest you apply their pre-lube to all of their body bushings. Should you buy their brand or is there a better alternative?

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Director Region 13 (TX) Emeritus
601 Posts
There is not enough difference between them to debate both have the same properties. Go with the one that you can get for the best price. Prelub is to make the installation easier has little affect after they have been in for a few weeks in your area you should not have a lot of issues with squeeks. Hope you don't have rusty bolt problems use plenty of penatrating oil well befor hand days or more to help free up the bolts. Good luck Harald K. :texas:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Keyser are you talking about speedway motors? They don't seem to carry the bushing set for my 86 that I can find. I found the prothane full set for 110 bucks shipped on amazon.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I can really see the benefit of urethane bushings in the suspension, but I'm not entirely sold about their added benefit for the body mounts. Their rigidity is awesome for steering response when used at the control arms and sway bar points, and I can say that because I did the Chevelle with Energy Suspension graphite impregnated urethanes about 10 years ago (wow! time flies) and my wife's Honda Civic just recently (oh man her bushings were GONE!!!!) But it may be too much when used everywhere. I've heard (yes, "I've heard", this is not from first hand experience) that urethane body mounts make for a significantly harsher sounding ride. I like the conceptual idea of rubber body bushings absorbing vibration and road noise (more so than urethane) and when it comes time I will probably do the Chevelle's or Camino's body mounts with rubber. It's not a matter of longevity, as the originals are over 42 years old now and still very serviceable. And I do believe that rubber bushings sets are cheaper (don't know for fact.)

As with everything, your mileage may vary. Just another opinion to consider.

And +1 on Keyser's anti-sieze comment. It's a regular habit of mine that if I remove a bolt, to put it back with anti-sieze (in most instances.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
using anti-seize on urethane bushings keeps them from squeaking and groaning.

maybe we should use it on donny, and see if it keeps him from groaning.

:texas:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Suspension ...

I've used both Prothane and Energy Suspension bushings for the sway bars, end links and control arms and both brands are good wrt ease of installation, wear and performance. As mentioned earlier, lubing them well helps curbs squeaks later on.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the input everyone. I just ordered the prothane set as it was cheaper than the energy suspension one. Will do about putting the anti seize on them keyser. Most of my body bushings don't existing anymore so I get a harsh ride from what I have so I'm sure the poly ones will at least not make it worse and stiffen up the feeling of the suspension. Most of my frame is in very good shape my crazy father used to coat the underside of the cruck with wd40 before every winter in connecticut and I'll be damned if it didn't stop 90% of the rust you would normally see. But The body bushing bolts must have retained the salt somehow. 2 of them look like inverted spikes where the whole center just eroded away and fell off. "not sure how I'm going to get that one out".

·
Registered
668 Posts
I realize now my mistake in replying to Keyser, though I still suggest coating the bolt threads, too.

My Energy Suspension control arm bushings all came with a silicone lube, which was thick and sticky. The large flat sides (which rub and will squeak) were coated with that stuff and I've not heard a sound from them. Your Prothanes may also come with something that may negate the need to use anti-seize as Keyser suggested (hence why I mis-understood his posting.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hey Keyser, the kit that your link points to: does it have the "GNX" bushings that go on the rear frame hump? I can't tell by looking at the pic and there is nothing in the description that says for sure.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
not sure, I haven't got a set yet. elkies need 14 bushings, all other G bodys take 12.

:poke:

·
Registered
326 Posts
There is a difference between the Energy Suspension and the Prothane bushings: The ES ones are graphite impregnated (Black only), and the PT's aren't. The decision is whether the extra $37 is worth the graphite feature...

·
Registered
668 Posts
FWIW, I went with the graphite impregnated ES bushing for my control arms and I'm very very happy. Haven't heard a squeak yet. I also prefer the black coloring as it's closer to stock and harder to tell that you've done something.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
FWIW, I went with the graphite impregnated ES bushing for my control arms and I'm very very happy. Haven't heard a squeak yet. I also prefer the black coloring as it's closer to stock and harder to tell that you've done something.[/QUOTE]

I will go with the black ones too, cause my elkie is all stock :littleangel:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay after a couple of weeks of doing other projects and soaking my blind nuts with pb blast I started my body bushing project today. From what I have learned from you all put anti sieze on the bolts when they go back in got it. I'm going to put their grease on the bushings as I install them. Now here comes the fun part. On my first half 2 bolts broke. I believe I see what its going to take to cut the area open to fix it from looking at all of your forum responses. What do you suggest spraying into the box to keep the ones that didn't break in good shape? Ie. pb blast, some sort of rust inhibitive paint or primer? The bolts that did break seemed to just be discintegrated in their hole Is there some sort of a way to stop this on future ones? Maybe coat the bolts with grease?

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the passenger side almost done. While I had the body jacked up decided to degrease, sand, ospho, then spray my frame and underside of body since its exposed. I had 2 bolts that had almost discintegrated. I'll post pics when I get them uploaded. Luckily there was enough bolt left exposed that I was able to heat them and get them out with vicegrips.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts