El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a 84 EL that came with a 350 crate motor. Would like to eliminate ALL of the emission "junk". Installing a FiTech fuel system. headers, MSD ignition system and intake manifold. My question is, can I do away with the ECM ??? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
As long as you don't have an electronic transmission, you should probably be OK. I'm no expert on the 1984 El Camino and I can't say whether your air conditioner has much tie in to the ECM.

So you might be OK, might not. Let's see what others have to say.

Rick

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Like Rick said, if you have a computer controlled trans that will be your biggest problem. If not, life will be good! As far as the A/C controls it shouldn't be hard to add an older style system with an electric choke actuator to idle up when switching on the compressor(there are guys smarter than me to help with that!!). I just know the computer handled that function and also ran it through the P/S pressure switch to help avoid killing the motor when turning and pressure spikes.

Joe

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
In ‘84, the only thing the computer did was read the O2 sensor and adjust the carburetor mixture and distributor advance. It had no connection to the A/C, transmission, cruise, radio or anything else. Use a non computer Quadrajet (Mountain Man or other good builder, NOT a parts store unit) and an HEI distributor with vacuum advance, curved for total timing around 32* all in by 3000 rpm. (Or run furl injection and MSD if you’re feeling froggy).
Patrick

·
Supporting Member
4,403 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts