El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for paint suggestions for my 77 El Camino Classic...It was originally 2 tone black and white any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey nothin wrong with black and white the only reason im repainting is becuase im done restoring it and the factory paint job was in really bad shape, im already done preping the car for paint and was thinking if i should go same black and white or something differnt :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
how about a forrest green, and a grey green. the grey green im thinking of is the one they used on the 94-96 impalas

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
It all depends on if you're trying to get it to look origional or custom. I'd definetely stick with the same color if you're bringing it back to stock. However, if you're planning on doing something a bit different, go with something more drastic...like red. :cool:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Black and purple 8)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the interior is goin to match what ever color i decide to paint it, the whole interior is gunna have to be all re-done, it has sat for 13 years said the previous owner the dash is all rotted the door panels are all cracked so after i get it painted its on to the interior, i really dont wanna bring it back to stock so im kinda ruling out the old black and white hmm still a brain scratcher looks like im gunna have to go back and look at some more paint chips thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I'd suggest that you go with something like "Pearl White metallic" and Dupont Chromalusion Pure Purpleen. I'd mix a little silver pearl into the Clear and shoot that about the second coat of clear and finish up with a final clear coat. The truck will shift colors in the Day and Night time, catch a lot of peoples attention and since you already have the two tone trim package (El Camino Classic) it will work fine. You could also have a fade top / bottom type of thing going on. I faded the Purpleen in to the Carmine Red and the Navy Blue pearls and it worked, in my opinion great! It has shades of gold, silver, teal, red and blue as well as actually being purple, depending on the angle of your view.

Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey,
i got some numbers from a credit card sized metal plate that is screwed near the wiper mount. how do i decifer these numbers to match the paint .17L 19M 17U LACQUER???

·
Registered
284 Posts
try like a maroon or a real dark red or even a regular red. that modle looks good in red. my dad used to have a 76 painted red with red hot and ready painted on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah yeah, all those color combos were alright... but nothing compared to the future paint for my 76... I'm painting it black with gold bumbers, grill, and gold spoke wheels. Big attention grabber!!! Come on, you gotta be [P][|][|\/|] [P] (pimp) about it!

·
1,867 Posts
I think bigger cars look better a dark color. I had a 77 Chevelle one time that was all black & it would not have looked better any other color.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Tommy said:
I think bigger cars look better a dark color. I had a 77 Chevelle one time that was all black & it would not have looked better any other color.
Having 3 black cars...i definitely agree.... But what a PITA to keep clean!!! :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm redoing my entire 85 SS and I have been tortured with the same question....what color scheme? After a few sleepless nights I've decided (for good reason too so no laughing) to paint my Elky in flat black and have all of the chrome and silver trim pieces and such powdercoated black. I've had some trouble in the past with a few of my custom bikes being vandalized. so I want to keep the Elky as safe as possible since it will be my daily driver. Gorgeous paintjobs draw lots of attention, so I think I'll be happy with all of the awesome stuff on the inside and under the hood.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What you have to look at is whats going to please you. I am sure you are finding out how labor Intensive this project is (not to mention the cost)and you sure wouldnt want to paint it a coler you couldnt live with and have to do it over. Figure out a color you like then 2 tone off of that.I am going through the same thing but it is good to have input from lots of different angles. Personally I like the factory blue ane white that was on a 76 El camino. It looks clean and classy with the 2 tone chrome moldings.Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts