El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
So…

I was sitting in my driveway and then this happened!

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Explanation

I'm planning to do a full cap of my dash. Some say that you can do this without pulling the dash completely out, to which I reply:

a) I'm changing my interior color over from its stock dark blue to black and charcoal. I need to replace the lower windshields moldings.

b) I want to replace my center speaker and I can only do that with access to the inside.

c) the horizontal plastic trim (which needs to be removed before the cap goes on) is not held on with mere clips that pop off when some force is applied. No, it's held on with 5 7mm bolts that can only be accessed from the back.

d) I salvaged a pull out ashtray from a Monte some time back (rather than the loose/flappy flip down style which never stays up). So much easier to change over while the dash is out of the Camino.

e) based on my test fits of the full dash cap, this job would be a nightmare and turn out crappy if the dash was still in the car. Even with the steering wheel and dash pod removed, I cannot imagine attempting this any other way.

So here are a few peaks at the cracks I'm dealing with and the bolts which hold the plastic trim on...

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You said a mouth-FULL, Keyser!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
If you're gonna go that far, how much more is a full dash rather than just a cap?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're gonna go that far, how much more is a full dash rather than just a cap?
The dash cover is just over a buck and change to purchase and should do the job I need it to do. I've never seen a nice example of a used dash that I'd like to buy in my area, nor do I want to think about the cost of an NOS unit (not that I even remember seeing one for sale.)

This is a plain jane 229 V6 Camino that is still a work horse. Yes, I'd like it to look a whole lot nicer than it currently does but I'd like to do it on a budget.

It doesn't cost me much to do the work that I regard as entertainment/recreation.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You seem to be doing fine.

Do a current or future owner a favor and photograph and document everything so it can be put into the How-to archive. That way a guy will know what he's getting into and so he'll know what to expect. Guys don't like bad surprises. I know I don't.:eek3:

Thanks. And, :tree: MERRY CHRISTMAS :tree:

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
The dash cover is just over a buck and change to purchase and should do the job I need it to do. I've never seen a nice example of a used dash that I'd like to buy in my area, nor do I want to think about the cost of an NOS unit (not that I even remember seeing one for sale.)

This is a plain jane 229 V6 Camino that is still a work horse. Yes, I'd like it to look a whole lot nicer than it currently does but I'd like to do it on a budget.

It doesn't cost me much to do the work that I regard as entertainment/recreation.
Changing colors this is my second and prep is the most important.

Just ordered a dash cap I have the same color dash you have. I've been told there's only a couple of manufactures that make the covers but relabeled them so don't spend too much. The full cap cost me with shipping $139.00 and it's on it's way.

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
I got this far and gave up fixing the old dash.

Need to come up with something like a trim piece for the defrost vents if you think of something let me know. That unfinished look looks really bad looking in from the windshield from the outside.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey HKDUP87,

I got mine from DixieMonteCarlos for like $107. I bought a BUNCH of stuff (including vacuum formed lower door panels with speaker pod), and if memory serves I think I got a free shipping deal or something. I remember thinking it was an incredible deal what ever it was.

For my defrost vents, and anywhere else that the cap doesn't cover and shows original dash, I'm going to pre-paint to the new color so that the final seams will be less apparent. Another reason why I chose to remove the dash from car: I'm going to be doing a lot of test fits and the old dash will be easier to prep and paint.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Headliner

In the midst of the dash shenanigans I'm also installing a headliner. I've had none since I got the Camino back in 2008. I opted for an uncovered ABS unit. It came in black and for a slight detail/contrast for the interior I painted it a charcoal grey. The surround trim will be black, so this will be a nice contrast.

I have used that foil bubble roll/sheet insulation (from Lowes) as a barrier between the cab roof and the headliner. Used 3M 88 spray adhesive to tack it to the roof before headliner installation.

Attachments

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
Hey HKDUP87,

I got mine from DixieMonteCarlos for like $107. I bought a BUNCH of stuff (including vacuum formed lower door panels with speaker pod), and if memory serves I think I got a free shipping deal or something. I remember thinking it was an incredible deal what ever it was.

For my defrost vents, and anywhere else that the cap doesn't cover and shows original dash, I'm going to pre-paint to the new color so that the final seams will be less apparent. Another reason why I chose to remove the dash from car: I'm going to be doing a lot of test fits and the old dash will be easier to prep and paint.
Same here on the painting nothing aftermarket fits perfect. my cap was $107.00 also but had to pay shipping. I thought I looked everywhere for free shipping I must have missed them.

I was wondering if scuffing up the old dash pad would be a good idea after cleaning so the adhesive sticks better??

this stuff is the best autozone . This sets up really fast so watch out it will harden quick I mean really quick.

https://www.google.com/#q=3m+08008&tbm=shop&spd=9544264685297937423

If you need to seal anything up this stuff at the same place never gets hard. I did my heater box 2 years ago no air leaks and still soft. Both items are in the same area of the store. I used it on my weather strip a chunk was out of the door window seal and form fitted it 2 years ago and it looks like part of the weather-stripping.

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
In the midst of the dash shenanigans I'm also installing a headliner. I've had none since I got the Camino back in 2008. I opted for an uncovered ABS unit. It came in black and for a slight detail/contrast for the interior I painted it a charcoal grey. The surround trim will be black, so this will be a nice contrast.

I have used that foil bubble roll/sheet insulation (from Lowes) as a barrier between the cab roof and the headliner. Used 3M 88 spray adhesive to tack it to the roof before headliner installation.
Where did you get this I need one ??? Dixie ???

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,749 Posts
michaelj; e) based on my test fits of the full dash cap said:
X2 been there and done that - recently - and it's tough to get it right even with the dash out.

Two suggestions;

(1) Make sure the cap fits everywhere before applying any adhesive. Especially around the light switch and e-brake release. Do any needed trimming before gluing anything.
(2) Get a tube of construction adhesive and caulking gun. The little tube of glue that comes with the cap is not nearly enough to do it right.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.