El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your prompt reponse! Where can I find the casting number? Is it the one stamped/casted on the axle to the right of the diff. cover? If it's not a 8.2 what else could it be? I can just order 3 different ones just to make sure I have the right one. I was also wondering if I could just use some Hylomar Universal Blue (http://hylomar.com/hylomar-product-range/gasket-jointing-compounds/#universalblue) which I already have. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If it has an 11" cover it could be 8.2 or 8.5. The casting number will say for sure. The cover you have is an aftermarket cover designed to add extra support to the carrier bearing caps, keeping them from flexing under severe loads. The two center studs are tightened against the caps and the jam nuts hold them in place.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,072 Posts
The casting number is on the center carrier - drivers side atop the web.

This is my '66 casting number - I don't know if there was more than one in '66 or not but this is an original '66 8.2" 10 bolt casting number.

On the underside of one of the tubes will be stamped some numbers as well in my case

This corresponds to a 3.36:1 gear ratio (CB) the rear end was produced on June 22 (0622) at the Buffalo, NY plant.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
That cover is sometimes known as a girdle cover. As novelle said the studs support the carrier bearing caps. Don't tighten them in too hard and you'll want to put some thread sealer on the studs before you put the cover back on so they wont leak the new gear oil you put in when you replace the cover with the new gasket. I used a gasket and rtv sealant on mine with no leaks.
Ang.

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
For a nice "clean look" a gasket will be fine. The aluminum covers are very flat so a dry gasket works well. Stamped steel covers aren't always flat and should use a quality RTV. It doesn't have to be high temp just good quality. Diffs don't get hot just warm.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for your replies. I'll have to double check how tight the stud caps are as I didn't adjust them after reinstalling the cover. One more question, the parts store people said to put 2 quarts of gear oil in. I would think it needs quite a bit more than two quarts. How many quarts do you guys put in?

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Somewhere close to 2 Qts is going to be it. Fill until it starts to trickle back out of the unplugged opening front side. Lubrication is accomplished by dip and sling if you will, as the gears turn through the oil in about only the bottom half of the pumpkin.

:beer:

·
Registered
12,538 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah, got it. I didn't know about the level plug on the front passenger side of the pumpkin. Thanks! :You_Rock:

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Yea the after market covers do add to gear oil capacity. I had to put almost 3 quarts in mine when I had it apart. It's an 8 1/2 so it could be a little bigger anyway. The fill on the cover,like yours is higher than the level plug on the diff. I didn't want to try and get that plug out so I made a dipstick of sorts out of heavy gauge wire to be sure it was filled to the proper level.
Ang.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks.

It's an 8.2. I put in 4 quarts and after driving it a bit it some came out the vent bolt on the passenger side. I'd say it probably has about 3.5 quarts in it now, maybe less. Here are some pics of the inside:

:nanawrench:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts