El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken a few minute to quickly search but i havent really found any informative discussion on hooking up an RPM TACH (aftermarket)

Obviously it was so easy to find the word "TACH" written on my HEI top- however wht i dont get is where exactly do i hook the green wire to- the 3 wire that comes out of the bottom of the distriubtor cap and goes underneath the top of the distributor they are all hooked into a connector

I'm assuming i need to "SPLICE" into the brown wire??

as of right now i cannot really identify the difference between the 3 colors beside one of them being the darkest...

i recently bought an autogage/autometer tach and am ready to hook the mofo up i'll keep checking for anybodys reply hopefully i can get this done tonight-

i have no problems with hooking it up just wanted to be 100% sure before i even **** with the wires on the distributor

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
every aftermarket tach i have used had 3 wires to hook up one ground one ignition hot and one signal from the tach terminal on the dist

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
and one for dash lights.. Find these 4 wires on your tach, research it, what model is it? Label each with some tape (ground, hot, signal, dashlights). Next you want to find each of these in your Elk to splice into. Ground and hot , I used my stereo wires. dashlights could be from other gauges or the speedo surround. The HEi should be one wire with a female tab end, slots onto the empty tab on your dist.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
There should be 2 connectors and an empty slot on your dist cap.

One connector will be the one you mentioned with 3 wires.

The other will be a large wire going into the slot marked BATT.

The empty slot beside that will be where you hook up the tach wire. You will need a female connector on your green wire from your tach.

DONT splice into the 3 wire connector.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There should be 2 connectors and an empty slot on your dist cap.

One connector will be the one you mentioned with 3 wires.

The other will be a large wire going into the slot marked BATT.

The empty slot beside that will be where you hook up the tach wire. You will need a female connector on your green wire from your tach.

DONT splice into the 3 wire connector.

glad u said dont splice into it, so now i'm searching profusely for the "empty slot" for the tach-

the 2 bolts that holds the cap/top when i remove it, is that the place where i need to insert the green wire, or is it gonna be along the connector that is plugged underneath that very cap on the top of the distrubtor

let me know if i'm making any sense or not otherwise i'll take some pictures-

i've already hooked the tach up and wired everything up all thats left is the green wire sitting in the engine bay :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
allrite so i took the TOP off the distributor and i see the label C- GROUND and BATT

the label C underneath would be the color YELLOW... how come when i've bneen reading peoples been saying BROWN or TAN...

so thats why i havent touched anything i didnt want to make a BIG MISTAKE, i've already put the dash together and pretty much done except the green wire's sitting in the engine bay-

maybe someone can post picture or something for this caveman so i would feel much mor comfortable with putting the wire somewhere i feel it doesnt belong:poke:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm DONE succeeded!! And it was the YELLOW wire that actually was labeled TACH- and it is ont he top of the distributor cap's cap if u know what i mean--

took some night pics the rpm and water temp is so bright compared to the factorys but hey at leas its all lit :nanawrench::beer:up!!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Well done. What is the engine's rpm max rating? Now you can adjust your carb and idle.:nanawrench:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts