El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I'm looking around southern California for an El Camino and found this on San Diego Craigslist.
Is this a good price for this car or is it not, I spoke to the owner and got some pics of the interior
and its decent, other than the seats, but dash and door panels are all good.
Its got a 307 with a 350 tranny.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks,
going to look at it later this week, gotta check the floors and under the back window thoroughly. If all seems ok I'll throw him an offer...

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
welcome Loren
sorry, but
that Elky looks like is had serious rust that's been fixed before,,
may not have been fixed the right way ether...
the roof, sail panel, quarters, rockers, fenders, ...
take a small magnet with you and see if it sticks to anything
on the lower parts of the cruck...

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
welcome Loren
sorry, but
that Elky looks like is had serious rust that's been fixed before,,
may not have been fixed the right way ether...
the roof, sail panel, quarters, rockers, fenders, ...
take a small magnet with you and see if it sticks to anything
on the lower parts of the cruck...
X2

Joe

·
Registered
412 Posts
That’s quite a low price for a running 68. You could expect to pay that for a roller in decent (not great) shape now. Thus I would be very careful looking at the rust issues. That roof looks gnarly. Check the frame closely for rust or repair.

·
Registered
63 Posts
X3
If it looks that bad in the pictures, it's usually a lot worse in person or once you get into it. I'd be very leery of a car with that much bondo in the roof much less the rest of the car.

·
Registered
374 Posts
From what I can see in the pictures every panel is rotted and full of body filler, it's a parts car total rust bucket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! So glad I joined this forum, I wasn't too sure what kind of work I would be getting into regarding rust, now I know. I'm going to pass on this Elco, the price is great but I guess its for a reason. Going to keep searching for the right one ?
Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Pass on it.. Too much rust. You can find one without all those rust issues.. Once you start digging into it, you will need a whole new roof and cowl, along with A&B pillars.... Take your time, let people know your looking for an el Camino..... Good luck..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts