El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my impala is a factory AC car, but the AC components are gone. I've got a new heater core and blower motor coming so I can get the heat working.

Rock auto has the compressor and a few other tidbits in a package here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=5247804&cc=1323841

Obviously a belt to run the compressor

Aside from charging the system, is anything else actually needed to get AC in the car?

Also of some importance is that the motor is from a 69 chevelle, so should I buy AC components for the chevelle, or for the impala? I can't imagine that the motor comes into play for anything other than the compressor...

Vents appear to be intact, as do the dashboard controls (won't know for sure till I get something going in there).

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I'll try to answer at least some of your questions. For the AC, get parts for the Chevelle engine. The blower motor SHOULD have a box setup that belongs to the Impala,and, if so, go that route. Do you have a pulley on the water pump that will accommodate your compressor being added? You will also need a dryer and venturi, plus the AC radiator.

SAFER: A thorough inspection of the braking system and the suspension system would be called for first off. AFTER it is SAFE to drive, then you can think about better/faster. If you go for that first, you'll only prove you can kill yourself.:twisted:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to answer at least some of your questions. For the AC, get parts for the Chevelle engine. The blower motor SHOULD have a box setup that belongs to the Impala,and, if so, go that route. Do you have a pulley on the water pump that will accommodate your compressor being added? You will also need a dryer and venturi, plus the AC radiator.

SAFER: A thorough inspection of the braking system and the suspension system would be called for first off. AFTER it is SAFE to drive, then you can think about better/faster. If you go for that first, you'll only prove you can kill yourself.:twisted:
Brakes work, lock up just fine! Suspension works too, I can feel the car float around while I'm driving, just like it shouldn't. :p

I was looking into the 'ac radiator' (I believe they're called condensers) and had no luck, there are heater cores for cars with and without AC though, so is the condenser part of the heater core maybe?

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
that's a big question Mike,, got some pics of whats missing?? was that a 64?
depends on whats missing and if you convert to newer system and/or 134..

compressor depends on whether you have 64 or 69 belts and pullys, brackets, or long/short waterpump..

the condenser sits in front of the radiator, has nothing to do with the heater core..
the heater core depends on if its a ac car because the evaporator/heater box is different usually,, 64 cant remember??

:texas:

·
Registered
209 Posts
So if you dont have any of the parts you not only need the heater core, blower motor, and compressor. But you also need to see if you still have the a/c coil, thats the small radiator thing inside the a/c box inside the cab of the car along with the heater core, then the A/c Dryer, evaporator, condensor (which goes infront of the radiator) , and the High and Low Side A/c lines.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
So, my impala is a factory AC car, but the AC components are gone. I've got a new heater core and blower motor coming so I can get the heat working.

Rock auto has the compressor and a few other tidbits in a package here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=5247804&cc=1323841

Obviously a belt to run the compressor

Aside from charging the system, is anything else actually needed to get AC in the car?

Also of some importance is that the motor is from a 69 chevelle, so should I buy AC components for the chevelle, or for the impala? I can't imagine that the motor comes into play for anything other than the compressor...

Vents appear to be intact, as do the dashboard controls (won't know for sure till I get something going in there).
Check Amazon I just bought and installed a NOS A/C Delco compressor for $149.00 delivered. no tax no frt. I'm blowing 40d 134a.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts