El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Rust free is most likely always a puffing comment...metal rusts.
$2200 doesn't seem like an outrageous price for an original running SS.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
this is my definition of rust free when I pulled my carpet up.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
No, you misunderstood. He was saying (Rust is Free) the rest of the El Camino cost $2200.00!!!
:poke:
And what happened to that roof trim??? Melted???
Donny

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Man,,,,you people are fussy :poke:! Up here in the Michigan rust belt, anything with rust holes smaller then a dime is called rust free:laughing3::laugh:!

Doug

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
No, you misunderstood. He was saying (Rust is Free) the rest of the El Camino cost $2200.00!!!
:poke:
And what happened to that roof trim??? Melted???
Donny

I understood just showing the definition of rust free but rust is free is cool he's not telling the truth but also not lying . So when are you picking it up?:secret:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
To me, there's two kinds of rust: surface that's easily taken care of, sometimes with only polish; and, rust that's really eaten into the metal. With tongue in cheek, I'd call the first one "rust free", and the second one "rusty".:twisted:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
We could do a whole thread on these "phrases".
ran when parked (looks like it hasn't moved in 50 yrs)
all original (with a pic of it sinking into a field or a tree growing out of the hood)
original paint (with rust showing through the hood, roof, & trunk)
low miles (but the seat is destroyed, steering wheel cracked, holes in the carpet...)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Man you guys just don't know rust. I sold my old plow truck with no fenders or floors and people were complimenting me on the shape of the body. Get a little salt on the ground and then you'll see some real rust. :nanawrench:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Man you guys just don't know rust. I sold my old plow truck with no fenders or floors and people were complimenting me on the shape of the body. Get a little salt on the ground and then you'll see some real rust. :nanawrench:

Lived in Montana spent a lot of traveling behind a salt truck. Their great in the fog to follow but not for the underneath of the car.:nanawrench:

Trailer breaks!!!!!!!!!!:poke:

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,539 Posts
I think it's merely a punctuation error. A comma makes a big difference.
You can say "rust free", or you can say "rust, free", and it completely changes the meaning of the entire statement.

Here's a few more car ad terms, and what they really mean:

If the ad claims... It really means:
- rough condition... too bad to lie about
- parts car... beyond repair
- immaculate... recently washed
- engine quiet... if you use 90-weight oil
- needs minor overhaul... needs engine
- needs major overhaul... Phone the junkyard
- burns no oil... it all leaks out.
- rebuilt engine... cleaned the spark plugs.
- Drive it away... I live on a hill.
- Drive it anywhere... within 10 miles.
- desirable classic... no one wants it.
- rare classic... no one wanted it even when it was new.
- stored 20 years... in a farmer's field.
- ran when stored... won't start.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
:laughing4:
Rushgator, that is so true!

Doug

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
LOVE IT In the electrical game they call circuit breakers reconditioned but you can't buy parts for them and most are sealed so what you get is an eye ball look and some armor all to shine it up then shrink rapped so you can't smell it or slip through your fingers till your out of the building . True Story I'm 30 years in the game and never sold used parts we leave that to the junkies.:nanawrench:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Then you get those similar kind of people being the buyers. People who look at very slight surface rust and ask does it need a patch panel in it? This is the same guy who thought my 80 El Camino SS was factory computer controlled and thought the ratchet shifter in my car should just pull back into reverse like a factory shifter!

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
This is an ad I saved because I loved the way he worded it!!
Mallory, adjustable (knob), soft cut rev limiter , racing - $50 (East Fort Worth)

Date: 2012-03-10, 2:44PM CST
Reply to:
[email protected]
[Errors when replying to ads?]

Mallory adjustable REV limiter for 8 clyinder ignition, but can be used with four or six cylinder ignitions by just doing some math (see, that high school math teacher was right... "someday you'll understand the importance of ratios"). It is a "soft cut" style revlimiter that interrupts the spark to one cylinder at a time in a random pattern to soften the power to let you know it's time to shift without alternate method of seeing the crank sticking out the side of the block. The closer you get to the limit, more and more interrupts flatten the power, rather than the rev limiters that simply cut the power entirely that can do damage to your crank and drive train.

As is , no warranty other than it is operational.

The price is more than fair, in fact it is cheap, so it is also firm. If you don't want to pay $50 for the rev limiter, please don't contact me with a "bid".

CASH ONLY, PRICE FIRM, NO DELIVERY, NO SHIPPING, NO TRADES, NO KIDDING

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:

Email me a contact telephone number and I will respond in the order the emails come in. Please mention the rev limiter in the email so I know that the email isn't SPAM.

Sorry about the above, but there are a lot of people out there who just waste your time to capture your email address or try to scam you in some "I am out of town, but my assistant will bring you a Money Order if you ship it to..."" scheme. It's too bad, because they ruin the otherwise great person-to-person buyer/seller CraigsList experience...

Donny

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
One thing I have learned well is that rust never ever sleeps! I have chipped rust from the decks of US Navy ships and refinished many vehicles. If something is made of steel or iron it is rusting or trying to rust. It's a fact of life...end of story. If anyone tells you he has a rust free cruck to sell try to keep from laughing. Chip Foose can finish a car on friday and by saturday morning rust is already looking for a place to grow!:secret:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts