El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what emissions stuff i can remove that will not affect the ecm or require me to remove it. In ct all vehicles 25 years or older are not required to be tested for emissions, Im not doing it for any gains really but just to clean up the engine bay a bit, so its a little more presentable when I open it up at a cruise in. Also, if anyone has done this before knowing what parts are needed to do this before hand would be greatly appreciated.:nanawrench:
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well now im a bit confused, hopefully someone can shine some more light on the subject, after looking through some old threads some people claim they got codes after doing this, some didnt

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
The ECM should be able to compensate for the small change in the A/F reading that the air pump removal would have. You can always pull everything, add a vacuum advance HEI and an aftermarket carb and intake and clean up everything under the hood. Just add a lock up kit for the transmission and ground the cruise control if you have it and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey MikesElco 94 , I have an 1985 with all that smog / epa junk and that I'm getting ready to yank out ASAP .... I have a brand new EldeL. performer manifold and 600 carb. sitting on the shelf ready to get installed ... AS SOON AS IT COOLS DOWN HERE IN TEXAS :texas: , probably in Oct. or Nov. sometime ... we have the same rule down here in Texas with older cars past 25 yrs. old ... So go for it man and clean up the engine bay and save up for a new HEI Dist. , manifold & carb and you'll be all set :beer: ... Thanks the Geezer:nanawrench:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, il give it a shot tomorrow and see how everything works out. Also gonna remove the cat. Not gonna throw much cash at the 305 since its a daily driver, im just gonna wait for all the fun stuff when I can buy a crate. Thanks again, Mike

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey MikesElco 94 , I have an 1985 with all that smog / epa junk and that I'm getting ready to yank out ASAP .... I have a brand new EldeL. performer manifold and 600 carb. sitting on the shelf ready to get installed ... AS SOON AS IT COOLS DOWN HERE IN TEXAS :texas: , probably in Oct. or Nov. sometime ... we have the same rule down here in Texas with older cars past 25 yrs. old ... So go for it man and clean up the engine bay and save up for a new HEI Dist. , manifold & carb and you'll be all set :beer: ... Thanks the Geezer:nanawrench:
Nice to find someone in the same boat, tell me how it works out for ya and maybe il have a change of heart and throw a couple bucks at the 305 :beer:

·
Registered
19 Posts
We pulled the air pump and associated lines, cat, computer controlled distributor and carb on our 85 El Camino with 200R4.

Watch getting the air lines out of the exhaust manifolds as they will most likely be rusted up.

Removed the bulb from the check engine light.
Pulled the cat and the o2 sensor.
Put on true duels with mufflers.
Used a GM HEI vacuum advance distributor.
Had the carb guy down in ARK build a carb for the car based on all the changes. Mileage stayed pretty much the same, before and after. Around 18 MPG with very little highway driving.
Rewired the carb idle kick up switch into the ac compressor (green wire) so it would operate properly.
Installed a TCI lock up switch in the 200R4.
We had to adjust the vacuum lock up switch once and replace a bunch of vacuum line to get it to operate properly and not lock/unlock constantly on the highway.
You can set the timing back to factory specs for the car as a starting point, then watch temps and listen for "pinging" at throttle tip in on the highway, and adjust from there.

Probably should have done the intake too, but we are going slow, one project at a time and keeping it low buck.

Overall it wasn't too bad a job and is way easier to diagnose problems now.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have an '88 Iroc 350 installed in my '78 Elky.

Emissions engine from HE||

Air Pump, A.I.R. lines removed & ex-manif holes welded shut, O2 sensor wires cut, cats removed, EGR plate welded shut.
Installed new intake manifold, carb & HEI dist.

Runs like a champ.:twisted:

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,580 Posts
it's an all or nothing thing (if you remove the pump you'll change the signal to the O2 sensor which will signal the ecm)
Based on my experience, I don't agree. My pump has been removed, as well as the EFE valve and all the related lines. I cut the air line to the cat and capped it off. Over 10,000 miles with no trouble codes from the computer. I have access to a GM Tech I scanner and have run a comprehensive scan on all the computer system operating parameters, so I definitely know all is well.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I have an '88 Iroc 350 installed in my '78 Elky.

Emissions engine from HE||

Air Pump, A.I.R. lines removed & ex-manif holes welded shut, O2 sensor wires cut, cats removed, EGR plate welded shut.
Installed new intake manifold, carb & HEI dist.

Runs like a champ.:twisted:
The '88 IROC had a TPI system. Did you use the ECM? If so, did you get it reprogrammed?

Jack

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the air pump and air pump components have been removed, car runs great with no engine check light or codes and the proper vacuum lines are plugged. Only thing to be fully removed now is the cat, need to find a piece of straight pipe that will fill its place properly:nanawrench:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts